Easter Weekend Cooks

Threw on 4 racks of ribs at 7am for a party this afternoon at my folks house...should be tasty!
IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

I smoked then roasted a ham that I started from fresh, then brined for a week using the recipe from the Rhulman/Polcyn Charcuterie book. I was worried, but i turned out great. Smoked it over maple and cherry. Got plenty of leftovers for sandwiches.

I decided to dilute the brine a bit (use an extra 4 cups of water) to make it less salty. It worked great.

No pics, though. Sorry.

I went a different route this weekend and cooked short ribs. Ribs braised with mirepoix, beef broth, a bottle of zinfandel, porcini mushrooms, garlic and thyme... They came out fantastic. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus - yum!

Paul

On Saturday I cooked 10 thighs "roadside" and then grilled some herb rubbed scallops, to go along with greek salad and steamed herbed broccoli.

Sunday I cooked some yellow squash and an onion over the leftover lump and used it in a squash casserole while I grilled thick cut pork chops and marinated pineapple slices.

Dry cured brisket flat pastrami on Tuesday night, let it rinse in water overnight on Friday night, got up at 5 AM saturday, rubbed it and put it over Pecan at 250. Smoked for 5 hours and rested during lunch, then came home and steamed it for 3 hours and sliced it. Perfect.

Incidentally my first smoke with a foiled terra cotta heat sink. I think I like it and the fuel consumption seems lower.

I did a 5 meat dinner on Easter Monday. Fired up some Basque's lump and grilled in order:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>steak & started a pot of beans on the grill
<LI>chicken apple sausage
<LI>seasoned pork loin chop
<LI>marinated chicken breast
<LI>hand made hamburgers in ciabatta with sauteed white & brown button shrooms + served the beans + deep fried fries[/list]Served small portions of each. One heck of a bbq meal. Doing my brined turkey today.

I did my very first pork butt on Saturday that turned out wonderfully. Used some store bought McCormick Grill Mate Rub for Pork and it was actually quite good. Comp K with three pieces of apple and two of maple.

The decision to smoke was made at the last minute so I had to opt for a store bought rub rather than make my own. In fact we had to cut the 6 pound butt into two 3 pounders to cut down on cook time. Still ran about 7 hours after stalling at 165 for about an hour and a half. Thanks to you guys, I didn't freak out and just let it do it's thing. Sure enough it picked back up and finished out at about 195. Yummy!

It may have been my first try at pulled pork but it most definately won't be my last! Next time I want to do my own rub, try some oak, and do an overnighter.

Russ

I smoked a 17.5 lb prime grade 7 bone rib roast on the Big Boy WSM. I cooked to rare at 110 degrees and it was ready on 90 minutes. Thought it would take 3-1/2 hours. Glad I had a digital thermometer. The new WSMs do cook hotter when you first get them, even with good vent adjustments. This was my 3rd cook on it.

Oh yeah,
it was GRRRRRRReat!

I cooked my first competition brisket on Fri night/Sat at Osage City. Tied for 10th, lost the tiebraker.

Easter BBQ

I was very happy with what I served. I am also surprised that my 22 WSM did as well with charcoal time. I think I could have gone about 15 hours till the coals burned out. Using Rancher charcoal.

Back