Easter Dinner is on!

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Didn't get around to brining my bird yesterday, so I injected about 2 quarts of brine this morning and let it air dry in the fridge for several hours. Put onto the WSM at noon, hope to be eating around 6. It's a 13lb natrual bird that I'm smoking in the 245º-260º range with KF and Hickory chunks.

IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg

i got mine on at noon as well. though it's a 14 pound "self basting" butterball
icon_redface.gif
i used a little salt free dizzy dusy in the cavity and on as well as under the skin. using RO lump and a 2 small chunks of cherry. planning on 260-270 range. hope it will be done by 5:30 dinner time
icon_confused.gif

I brined my 13.5lb turkey for a day and it came out of the fridge, after drying for 14hrs, and it's been on the smoker for 3hrs 45min already. It's really windy here in Connecticut. Smoker was holding nice and steady at exactly 230F for about an hour and then the temp rose to 245F...too much wind getting into those vents. Fixed everything and the temps are in the 240s. Smells reallllly good.

Hey Tony, in case you were wondering about time and temp...my turkey is almost as big as yours and the internal temp is in the low 150s after 3hrs 45min of smoking (230F-250F smoker temp). Hopefully it's done in about an hour from now, for a total of ~5hrs cook time.

Happy Eating to everyone.

Have a good holiday guys and enjoy those turkeys. My wife doesn't like turkey.
icon_mad.gif

Put a brisket flat on at 7 this morning and will grill a dozen chicken breasts later. My son lost his job so I have to keep him in food for a while. Hope all is well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Jordan:
Larry that's a killer injector there, did you buy that from the vet ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It really is a horse/livestock injector that has been converted to 'foodgrade'.

Turkey is done, finished pic's will follow tomorrow!!

IMG_0385.jpg

looks good larry. mine took right at 4.5 hours ranging from 260-275 at the lid. i much prefer the low temp turkey even though the skin is not good for eating. i did chew on a piece for about 3 minutes though
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
looks good larry. mine took right at 4.5 hours ranging from 260-275 at the lid. i much prefer the low temp turkey even though the skin is not good for eating. i did chew on a piece for about 3 minutes though
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you Tony!!!!

This turkey turned out great! If I wasn't worried about running short of lunch meat this week I would have eaten more!!!

The sun was in the way so the pictures do no do this bird justice! One of the better birds I've done!

IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg

Nice birds, guys. I treated my mother and one of my sisters to smoked turkey for the first time ever today and they loved it! My mother asked, "What seasoning did you put on the turkey?". I didn't...I brined it. I always brine my birds and don't follow a set recipe. I just throw my own thing together. Smoked with apple wood...oh man, it was good. Pics later!

Back