Early Turkey

Raleigh W.

TVWBB Member
My wife pulled our 18 lb turkey from the freezer late last week to thaw in the fridge. She checked it Monday afternoon to see how it was doing and she became concerned that it had already thawed completely (after opening the turkey we saw that it was just thawed and could have waited another day). Knowing that after it's thawed you should cook it within a day or two, we made the decision to cook it early, just to be safe. I usually grill my turkeys on my One Touch Platinum 22 charcoal grill but Monday it was really windy, and that's not ideal. So I made the decision to toss it on the SmokeFire. I started it and brought the temp to 325* while we prepared the turkey. We put slices of unsalted butter between the skin and the breast, coated it in oil and salt and peppered it inside and out. I put it on at 4:20 pm with a probe in the breast set for 165*. I already had it filled with the competition blend pellets so I decided to go with them instead of switching to my poultry go-to, cherry pellets.

The SmokeFire ran flawlessly and at 7:45 it reached 165*. I spot checked random spots with another thermometer and everything looked great, so we pulled it off. This is the photo of it cooling a bit on our kitchen counter.

IMG_0796.jpeg

After an hour or so we covered it in foil and put it back into the fridge. On Thursday I plan to put it back o the SmokeFire at 325* for 1-1.5 hours to warm it. Then I'll slice it. I didn't want to slice in advance because I'm hoping that it will retain its moisture by staying whole. I'll probably put in a water pan with some chicken broth in it for added humidity.

I must say that it looked and smelled wonderfully and it really tested my patience not to go ahead and carve it for a snack. I'm hoping the reheating method works as well as it should.

The SmokeFire really has become my main cooker, whether it's steaks, scrambled eggs and bacon, mac n cheese, pizza, etc. So far there's nothing it hasn't done well. I'll find out tomorrow if I can add a whole turkey to that list.

Last edited:

Back