Early Turkey Day

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ALright, I have been through the threads on smoking a turkey, my question is two-fold.... Is it worth smoking versus just standard roasting? Second, some say cook at 300-350, others 250? thoughts...

Thanks and cheers

Jon

Jon-

The short answer is YES, it's worth it!

My dad has been smoking the Thanksgiving turkey for years now, and (in my not so humble opinion) I think it beats a roasted turkey hands-down.

As for temp.....I've smoked a few myself, and the lower the temp, the longer the time, and the stronger smoke flavor you get. I haven't really gotten crispy skin at any temps between 250 and 350, so don't really expect that. I tend to do mine in a range of 275-300, as I think that gets me the best combination of smoke flavor, juicy turkey, and reasonable time frame.

You might think about experimenting with a whole turkey breast (if you can find one), to see if you like the smoke/turkey combo. I bet you will.

Whereabouts in the Bay Area are you? I'm in RWC.

Cheers,
Rich G.

Thanks Rich...I live in Belmont, I am assuming I will like it but just didnt read any great raves like brisket! Is the time frame 3-4 hours?

Jon

I agree with Rich - try a whole bone-in turkey breast first. That's what I did when first trying the higher heat smoke. I've done turkey low and slow for years... in fact, that's the ONLY way we smoked it pre-WSM days, 'cause we didn't know any other way. After trying higher oven-type temps in the WSM, though, I much prefer that direction. My opinion is YES, it's worth it to do it in the smoker, at the higher temps. Brine it with a nice apple juice brine, hit with apple or cherry smoke, maybe a nice maple... mmmm mmmmmm! May need to start practicing for Thanksgiving early myself!

Unless you're particularly going for presentation value, it's worth it to separate the pieces on the turkey since your thighs and drumsticks will need to cook to 180 whereas the breast is good at 160. That being said, however, we have more usually cooked whole birds rather than the pieces. We like to present both a smoked and a fried turkey together side by side, sometimes including a smo-fried bird as well (hit hard with smoke for a short time, then fried) so people can taste the difference.

Not much help, I know, but my 2-cents, anyway! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Jon-

Depending on size of bird, whether it's "enhanced" (injected with a brine) or "natural", and the actual cooking temp, your time will vary. You're in the neighborhood for 3-4 hours on a 10-11lb bird depending on temp. Take a look at Chris' "Let's Cook" section for his turkey "how-to" for some guidelines. I think he did his 11lb'er for about 5 hrs at ~260 avg temp.

Since you're in Belmont, I'd hazzard a guess that you could find a whole breast at Lunardi's. They tend to have that kind of stuff there.

Good luck, and if you try it out, let us know how it goes.

Rich G.

YES, Smoking a turkey is far better IMO (as well as everyone who's tried my smoked turkey). I do it every time we have a party. Everyone loves it! Even if the birds enhanced you can still brine. But I only brine overnight then vs 24 hours like I usually do. Try it and you will love it I bet.

I always used my Weber Kettle for it. But last time I did a whole breast and half breast bone in on the WSM. Could'nt get temps above around 240f or so so I was forced to cook it low and slow. I never eat the skin so the fact that it doesn't get crispy does'nt bother me.
It was I think the best turkey I've done so far. Nice smoke flavor and nice seasoning all the way thru the bird from the brining.

Just to give you an idea of how people like smoked turkey. My mother In-Law has always made Thanksgiving dinner. But this year they all want me to make the turkey. That should tell you how good smoked turkey is over roasted turkey.

But then again turkey is turkey. It's good no mater what way it's made for me. But some ways are better then others.

Brining an enhanced bird is a waste of time-- it's already brined. If you want your brine flavorings in your bird, you'll need to purchase one labeled as "natural" and brine it yourself. Brining for 12 hours will be more than sufficient.

As far as separating pieces before cooking-- don't bother. For example, pork butts have different types of muscles that reach different temperatures simultaneously. The same is true with turkey-- when the breast reaches 160, the thigh will more than likely read in the 170-175* range. Upon resting, expect to see both increase by about 5*.

Rich G is right-- a brined bird will cook faster than and unbrined bird. Rely on your thermometer in either case, not your clock.

Formula: Natural turkey + your brine + WSM at 325-350*, dry pan, light smoke wood + 160* in the breast + rested 20 minutes + white meat carved across the grain = The best turkey you ever ate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back