Dutch oven 'Taters

Clay J

TVWBB Fan
This isn't much of a recipe, but the combination of tastes has been used in my family for many generations and continues to be one of our favorites.

I put this in the side dishes forum, but whenever we serve these, whatever we serve them with becomes the side dish, including steaks.

5 lbs of russet potatoes (Idaho of course) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1 to 3 lbs of sliced bacon (depending on taste and health) cut into small pieces.

2 large vidalia (or other mild yellow onion) diced.

Begin by heating the dutch oven with the bacon already in. Cook the bacon to a good brown color.

Reduce the heat (if possible) and add the onion. Cook about 3 minutes until the onion softens.

If you want it healthier, drain some of the bacon fat. If you want it tasty, add some extra.

Add the potato and increase the fire to high.

There are rousing arguments in my family over whether to cover the dutch oven or not. Covering speeds the cooking but can potentially turn the potatos to mush. I leave the top off becaue I love the potatos very crispy.

Stir every couple of minutes being sure to get all potatos that might be stuck to the bottom. Don't constantly stir or you'll never develop a crust.

Continue cooking until all potatos are cooked through and have brown crust on them.

Salt and peppter to taste. Serve with ketchup or salsa.

Back