Dull SS Grates

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
I have SS grates on my Genesis and they are well used by me and the previous owner. One thing I've noticed that while they are dull from heat, etc., I end up with black on them after doing burgers, etc. I always run the grill full throttle for about 15 minutes after grilling before shutdown. Before the next cook, I use a wire brush to get off the loose stuff. I have a Chargon tool as well, but the black always seems to remain. The dishwasher has not removed the black, nor has oven cleaner. Any thoughts? The grates seem smooth and being dull is no issue for me.

Mine are pretty discolored too. But not really black. I'm fine with the discoloration. I haven't used a wire brush on mine in several years. Only the chargon.

Greg:
Mine are dull grey, it is only dark in a couple of spots from recent cooks. I don't want to hit them with a wire wheel for just discoloration.

I cleaned up a SS grate that was 75% black this weekend. I cut open a 37 gallon trash bag so it was a rectangle and put the grate on it. I emptied a can of Heavy Duty oven cleaner on it, wrapped it up in the garbage bag, and let it sit for 24 hours. I cleaned it up the next day with an old toothbrush and towel, rinsed it off in the utility sink, and then cleaned it in the dishwasher.
That’s what I do when I restore cast iron skillets except I don’t put them in the dishwasher.

Don't worry........... be happy. In other words, ignore the color of your grate. Knock off the grunge and carry on. If any of your guests try to "grill shame" you for not having bright shiny SS grates, either send them home or spit on their burger when they're not watching. After that, don't worry............ be happy. Life is too short to obsess over the color of your grills.

I look at shiny stainless grates only as a "sale aid" for grills that I am flipping or maybe for a posterity picture of a grill I have restored for myself.
Just think of the dark finish as proof that you are enjoying your grill :coolkettle: !

Don't worry........... be happy. In other words, ignore the color of your grate. Knock off the grunge and carry on. If any of your guests try to "grill shame" you for not having bright shiny SS grates, either send them home or spit on their burger when they're not watching. After that, don't worry............ be happy. Life is too short to obsess over the color of your grills.
I agree with Bob here. Unless this is a grill you are trying to clean to sell or gift to someone then don't worry about the color of the grates. Even after you clean them up they will just get dirty again after using it.

Thanks to all. Perhaps a little too much time here in the house. I was just curious about it. I've never hesitated to grill on them because of that discoloration. At times I still go back and forth between the cast iron grates and the SS grates. I've been contemplating getting some SS grates for my CampChef pellet grill instead of the coated grates that came with the unit. I've been working my way through the various flavors of Camp Chef pellets and am leaning towards the Apple for everything instead of Hickory, Cherry, and Oak.

Also, if you heat up steel enough, it will draw temper out of the steel and you will see blue/black.

Back