Dude, what have you been smokin'?

Jim_Munsey

TVWBB Member
Okay, I'm new to this (got WSM as Christmas present) and have pretty much stuck with ribs so far. But in the last month, with the weather lightening up, I've been branching out and tried the following, with varying results.
Note: followed the recipes on the site with minor variations, but in all cases tried to get the times/temps correct.

Pork Butt, Pulled: Cooked two 7 pound butts for about 14 hours. Lid temp measured about 230 throughout the smoke. Temp was roughly 190 throughout the butt. This turned out excellent, except there was a fair amount of 'white meat' (almost like pork loin) that was extremely dry/tough (almost like pork loin overcooked on the grill). Threw it away since we no longer have a dog. So what was good was great, but I clearly need more practice on this cut.

Copper River salmon (whole): Now this is more like it! Alder-smoked a 3-4 pound fish. Followed the temp guidelines from the site, and this came out perfectly. Only possible complaint was that I didn't let the brown sugar dry before applying, so some pieces were a bit sweeter than others due to uneven distribution. If this were not so expensive (and of course seasonal), I could go for this on a regular basis, and generally I'm not a fish fan.

Meatloaf: did two of these yesterday, about 1-1/2 pounds each, 50/50 beef/pork mixture. We can't get ground veal in the store anymore due to political correctness, I guess. In any case, this ended up very moist, very tasty.

I have noticed that it is somewhat difficult to keep my WSM up to temperature. I generally use the Minion method, unless recipe specifies otherwise. I generally have the smoker at the side of my house, which is basically a wind tunnel, so I'd think it would run hot rather than cool.

In any case, think I'll do some ribs on the 4th. Thanks again to all who contribute to the site and make it even possible for us newcomers to try new things.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> except there was a fair amount of 'white meat' (almost like pork loin) that was extremely dry/tough (almost like pork loin overcooked on the grill). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try a higher cooktemp. Prolonged cooking at low temps can cause this. Though I cook butts often at 265-275 grate (280-300 lid), one does not need to go that high. In fact, if I really need to do an overnight then I cook lower (about 250-260 lid); that should solve that. Also, a finishing sauce--one that is added in small quantities when the pork is pulled--can smooth an uneven finish due to varying fat/connective tissue amongst the muscles and make the whole pulled mass homogeneous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Alder-smoked a 3-4 pound fish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ain't alder the NUT? I also like citrus wood with salmon, especially tangerine or Key lime, but alder can really make the meal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have noticed that it is somewhat difficult to keep my WSM up to temperature. I generally use the Minion method, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is usually a vent issue or an issue with get-go water temp. For the latter, usually you want to start with very hot water (in hot locations like Fla, Ariz, so Calif, etc., and/or when no shelter is available and one is cooking under direct sun, one might not go quite as hot); for the former, the vents, it's essential to use them to regulate heat. If the vents are wide open and you are still not getting a temp rise then it is usually a fuel issue.

It sounds like you have done some excellent cooking and that you are well on your way to doing much more.

Thanks for the info.

I'll try cooking at a higher temp with the butt. Most of it just fell apart, but there was the other part that was clearly overdone. I've always used cold water (I'm in Washington state, where ambient temps tend to be low anyway), so that would help to explain low cook temps, so I'll alter that in the future. I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel problem -- using Kingsford (Costco 42 lbs. cheap) and haven't seen complaints about that here on the site.

Alder-smoked salmon is a Northwest standard, so that's why I went alder. Citrus wood, while not readily available here, does sound interesting.

The point is, for me, to keep on trying. Even the disappointments -- and there haven't been many -- are a step above the usual fare.

Jim

I take the bark off the pulled pork and add it the the hog apple bean recipe as the BBQ'd meat called for in the recipe.

It just don't get any better than that.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back