Duck Smoking Questions

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
I have a Muscovy that's about 4.25 pounds and need to come up with something to do with it to take to a sauerkraut making party at my brother-in-law's. So here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1. Any ideas for appetizers made from it?
  2. How does one go about smoking a duck? I've read a few posts on here, but most of the good ones seem to link to the old forum.
  3. Can I de-skin and render the already smoked skin to make ridiculous smoky duck fat?
  4. It has the liver and gizzards inside. What can I make with the liver?

Thanks for your help!

When we do wild duck we cube the breast marinate in teriaki sauce add a slice of jalapeno to each piece and wrap in bacon and bake. I think it would be great with a little smoke flavor. I have never attempted a whole duck.

I've air dryed the duck overnight in the fridge, then when ready to cook poked holes in the skin with a fork and small slices under the wings and the thighs. Then I rubbed with five spice powder and roasted in the WSM at 350*. When done, slice the duck with the skin into shreds. then lay out the duck, hoison sauce, scallion in bowls and let guests spoon a little of each into a small tortilla or scallion pancake, then fold and enjoy. Note that one duck will go quick.

Back