Dry Rub on ribs - then adding a layer of Brown Sugar on top - does anybody do this?

Michael Spurling

TVWBB Member
Hi all-

Saw this clip on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwiTjWBgUy8

These guys from the Super Smokers Team had a interesting method with their ribs - pre cook.

they put a dry rub on the ribs - but then around the 3:30 mark of the video - they piled brown sugar on the top half of the entire rack.

They stated the brown sugar would liquify / melt down and make a molasses base on the rib. The brown sugar would draw the moisture out and penetrate the rib - adding more flavor.

They then added a final light dusting of their rub on the rib and then placed it in their smoker.

One thing I noticed - they dont mention when they are adding the rub and the brown sugar if the meat is at room temperature or if it is straight from the frig. ( does that even matter ? )

Does anybody else use this method? What kind of results do you get ? Are the ribs overly sweet? Is this more of a competition method?
How long does it take for the brown sugar to liquify?

Just curious how this method works - pro's and cons. Never heard of trying this in the beg. of a cook - I have heard of adding brown sugar in a foil packet etc. close to the end of one.

Opinions / thoughts ?

Thanks everyone.

thats what one of the guys said " ... were going to let it sit here, until the moisture starts drawing out of it " ( the brown sugar on the rib ) - thats what is also a bit confusing about this method.

Craig - did you watch the youtube clip ?

I've tried it. The results were fine. But remember, there's only so much flavor/sugar/etc. the ribs are going to absorb. I wonder if a light sprinkling of sugar over the tops would do the same thing. The rest just melts and runs off.

I could see doing this with maybe an hour of cooking left. It could be kind of a substitution for glazing.

I've seen on the TV shows that comp ribs (these were KCBS comps) were extremely sweet. And you mentioned this was a team's video. I don't particularly like that. My rub has sugar in it, but not a ton. At some point, pork ribs should taste like pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
I could see doing this with maybe an hour of cooking left. It could be kind of a substitution for glazing.

I've seen on the TV shows that comp ribs (these were KCBS comps) were extremely sweet. And you mentioned this was a team's video. I don't particularly like that. My rub has sugar in it, but not a ton. At some point, pork ribs should taste like pork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen! Always do things that complement your product. Don't try and turn it into something it's not. I've had those Super Smoker ribs before and they were just way too sweet for me.

I use a light coat of Sweet Baby Rays "Honey bbq" then I apply the rub. Caramelizes real nice.
icon_wink.gif

I tried it on one rack when testing a couple different methods, and wasn't impressed. I like brown sugar when you foil much better.

it seems like all of that brown sugar would be overkill - I like sweet - but not sickingly sweet.

Next time I do spares I may foil the ribs near the end of the cook and add some brown sugar and maybe some sauce.

thanks for the thoughts and opinions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sugar draws moisture out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

osmosis. Salt, sugar it doesn't matter whats in the solution. A highly concentrated solution will pull water towards it.

Sugar is hygroscopic.

(I'm with Michael. A sugar addition would be over-the-top for me. Nor would I ever sauce during cooking. Comp barbecue tends to be very much on the sweet side. Annoyingly so.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and penetrate the rib </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it wouldn't. But it makes for good Youtube chatter.

Back