Dry chicken breasts revisited

G

I cook high temp (325-350)chicken halves with an empty water pan and am looking for a way to get the breast and dark meet done (165-170) at the same time. The breasts tend to dry out while I am waiting for the thigh to reach temperature.

Since the temp is hotter towards the edge of the grill I position the halves so the breasts are in the middle and the dark meat is towards the edge of grill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Try popping the thigh bone out of socket before cooking - this is occasionally referred to in some circles as an "Uncle Umberto" maneuver. The disjointed bone will allow the dark meat around it to cook faster. Works quite nicely on halves or quarters either one. Brining also gives you an excellent cushion against drying out your white meat, with the added bonus that brining actually speeds up cooking time.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time (and cookin' as Hot Wire BBQ)

I'd have to agree with Jay and recommend brining. I use a simple salt-sugar brine and my chicken is always very moist. Try this and let us know what you think

I am already a brining and injecting maniac - anything to add moisture and flavor. I might give that joint popping thing a try.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Buy Tyson chicken at Wally World or Sam's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where all the chickens weigh exactly the same, down to the hundredth of a pound. (How'd they do that?
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

Doug: Cloning.

Konrad: I've had some great cooks with frozen birds since we last spoke about it ... I am now willing to grudgingly eat some crow and admit that frozen is not necessarily a problem. Two things different have been thawing in a sub 40F fridge and of course watching the finish temps carefully. Who knew??
icon_wink.gif

David: Another thing that can help the birds cook more evenly is to not tie it up or pin the legs and wings tight to the body. Just let em all hang out. (You may get overly crusty wing tips/leg ends this way though.)

Shawn, Glad those frozen birds are working for you
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Where all the chickens weigh exactly the same, down to the hundredth of a pound. (How'd they do that?
icon_rolleyes.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I buy cases of whole Tyson fryers every week from Sams. I'm here to tell you the sizes range from almost a cornish game hen to a small turkey size. Sam's is now cashing in on that by charging by the pound where they used to have a fixed price per pound. Wally world always did that. Sam's is also pushing BIG spares. Great for cooking Texas style in the backyard but expensive for us commercial operators.

The latest rip-off at Sam's is they are selling large red potatoes (which are cheap) at the small red potato price (which should be expensive)

Back