Dry Brisket

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Well, I did a flat this weekend but it turned out pretty dry. It had a pretty good fat cap so I'm not sure what went wrong. The last one I did turned out tuff. I cooked this one fat cap down at about 220º for about two hours per pound. I took it to 195º and then let it rest. It was definitely more tender (I'd say perfect), but now too dry.

Any thoughts? Any uses for dry brisket or any way to moisten the meat up?

I let it rest for about 2 hours. I foiled it and added some beef broth then put it in a cooler.

I agree with Jeff. I have a packer on now that has been going since 9:00 last night. Its at 180 and the flat is seeming dry (the toothpick doesnt pass through easily) but Im leaving it on till 188. Not that its a magic number but I like it and find the meat loosens up around this temp. I then take it off, double foil it, and flip it fat side up and let it rest in a cooler stuffed with dry towels for 4 hours. It usually comes out pretty good and makes me and the wife happy.

Flats have always been a tough cook for me. My results are very inconsistent compared to packers. Sometimes you just get unlucky and purchase a flat without enough marbling. What I have found to help is to cook at a higher temp than a packer. I'd bump it up from 220 to around 240-250 at the grate. Sometimes too slow a cook can dry the meat out. The other alternative is injecting the flats with something like FAB-B or FAB-B Lite to add moisture to the flat.

I did a very small flat (3.2 lbs) yesterday. It took almost 7 hours to reach 176 degrees and then I wrapped in foil, added apple juice and cooked for another hour until it reached 205 degrees. I let the flat rest for 35 minutes in foil on the kitchen counter. It was excellent, not dry at all and my slices pulled apart with gentle pressure. I was pretty pleased since this was my first brisket.

I kept the temp in my WSM at a pretty steady 250 degrees measured at the dome, there was a few fluctuations but not anything to worry about.

Vic

I have also had this problem. I've been considering finishing it in a pan of stock or something. I've seen this on BBQ shows, but never tried it. I've always done it completely dry, but with a water pan full of beer. It turns out very tender, but dry. Lots of BBQ sauce needed to sauce it up. Anyway, I am shooting for a moist, falling apart brisket like they serve at Famous Dave's. That is some of the best brisket I've ever had from a chain. Of course the best IMHO comes from Texas. I hope that if anybody knows the secret to tender, moist brisket, that they will be kind and share it with the rest of us!

Welcome to the board, Melissa.

There are several ways of achieving tender, moist brisket and doing a search here will help you find several. Finishing in a pan of stock will might give you a lovely pot roast but not the barbecued brisket you seek.

Filling the pan with beer is a waste of beer. Flavoring the water (or replacing it with another liquid) adds nothing to the meat; flavors are added by marinating, injecting, rubbing or, later, with a sauce.

The biggest factor in Q-ing a brisket that ends up moist and tender is the brisket itself. It is harder if you're using 'Select' grade meat, especially if the meat is near the bottom of the grade--there's just not a lot of intra-muscular fat and connective tissue to work with.

Usually, if a brisket cooks tender but dry, it is a bit overcooked, it didn't have enough IM fat to begin with, or a bit of both. Foiling, with or without liquid at, during, or post-plateau (depending on what you've got) , can help a lower-grade packer or a lean flat maintain moisture. Some people feel that foiling with liquid can make the meat pot roast-y. Personally, I think that's more of a potential if liquid is used with an already well-fatted cut. You can still turn out a good brisket that starts out on the lean side without foil; the 'done' window is a bit narrower though.

Thanks for the advice. I might try one more time. I think I'll try a higher temp and pulling closer to 180º. I ran it very low and it ended up cooking for about 20 hours for a small (7.5 lb.) brisket. I'm proud of my ability to keep a full ring of lump going for 20 hours, but the outcome indicates that probably wasn't the best process to follow.

Cook it at 225 fat side down and when the flat hits 170 foil it. Cook fat side up after foiling and take to 185 degrees and let rest in a cooler for 2 - 4 hrs. I do alot of flats and this works great for me. YMMV
icon_smile.gif

Back