Dry Brine a Wagyu Steak?

To me dry bring beef draws out the moisture that I prefer to leave in till I eat, a quick sear is supposed to lock in juices, what happens if no juices? also a sears not always needed for a great cut of beef imo, the spices and perfect temp mean more to me.

Kenji and Meathead have done the science. You should always dry brine your steaks and other big meats. The salt initially pulls moisture out to the surface, but then that briny liquid is re-absorbed into the steak.

They both recommend putting the salted steak on a raised rack in the fridge uncovered anywhere from 1 to 48 hours. Highly recommended.

P.S. They've also done the science on "sealing in the juices." That is a myth. Kenji and Meathead both have some great stuff on the science of cooking. Meathead actually has an MIT physicist that he consults with. That guy's explanation of the differences between convection, conduction and radiation when grilling was life changing. Check them out.

Last edited:
Maybe Kenji and Meathead should try one of my steaks. Maybe it'll bust their theory. I've done direct side by side (brined/not brined, various times, all cooked the same on same grill. Never bothering with that again. Hands down my basic steak cook makes a FAR better steak.
But then again, I will RARELY cook a store bought/cut steak anymore. I buy my whole primals, trim and cut my own. That may have a little something to do with it.
But then again maybe some folks like that flaccid/mealy meat texture. I don't

Larry -- you should try the steak dry brine. Can Kenji, Meathead, Jess Pryles, Alton Brown, America's Test Kitchen etc. all be wrong?
If you read my previous reply you would see I have on multiple occasions and multiple steak in side by side comparisons. And yes to my individual taste they absolutely can be wrong. And this is born out with my blind taste tests with friends and family. Not a single person picked brined steak over steak cooked as I cook it.
The taste is fine. I just don't like the textural change and results compared to how I make a steak. Like I wrote. (and everyone I've tested this with said the same). The meat had a "flaccid" or rubbery feel as best as I can describe it

Back