Dry aging my first Ribeye

Steve S.

Hi all,

I picked up a 17 pound USDA Prime Ribeye from Costco yesterday for my first dry aging project.

My setup is as follows: 4.5 Cu Ft outdoor fridge, small fan placed inside, digital therm/hygrometer (with probe), old fashioned fridge temp guage inside (just to be sure).

Right now, the primal is still in it's bag, in the fridge. I want to take it out to start the dry aging process, but have a concern about temp swings.

I spent this morning measuring the temperature in the fridge.

I get 11 degree swings as the fridge cycles over a one hour period (from 33-44 degrees). Essentially, the compressor kicks in at 44 degrees and off at 33. I'm trying to eliminate having any time above 40 degrees, so it's going to be a long day of watching and measuring.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do to reduce the swing? I'm measuring the air inside the fridge using a digital thermometer with a probe (no opening the door). I will be placing cans of soda inside to help regulate temp, but not sure that will be enough.

Am I going to ruin this $190 piece of beef?

Thanks!
Steve

--------

Steve,

I just did a quick google search and alot of home brewers modify the thermostat so they can cold ferment. I did not know what type of fridge you have so I could not find how to modify yours. Give it a try.

Thank you!

I did read about those but assumed they were for turning a freezer into a fridge. Looks like they can be used to regulate refrigerator temps as well.

I will be looking into purchasing a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit.

Tonight, I plan on adding a few cans of soda to the fridge to see if that thermal mass will help regulate temps. If so, no need for the control unit.

When every corner grocery store had a butcher, and hung and dry-aged their own meat, they did it in a walk-in cooler. I remember that sometimes the door was left agar while product was put in and taken out. I am fairly confident that temp swings were sometimes in excess of 10-15 degrees.

Today, a few of us dry-age 5-6 ribeyes in a 8'x10' walk-in cooler several times a year. Base temp. set at 34 degrees. Have no idea of what the temp. swings are, but never had a problem yet. Mind you this is am outside cooler located under a roof, but not enclosed.

I should think that anything below 40 degrees will be just fine, but that is my opinon and not an endorsement of any proceedure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you think otherwise? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.

Do not poke, slice into, or otherwise pierce the meat prior to aging. Do not stick a therm into the meat when cooking starts. Wait till it's half done.

Good advice, Kevin. I've read about keeping the meat whole during aging. Didn't think about the therm prior to cooking, but it's great advice.

What I have been struggling with is whether or not to use a meat hook to hang the meat. The slab is too large to place on a shelf, so it is touching the fridge floor and sidewall. I am considering hanging it to prevent this.

Regarding the temp swings. I added a twelve pack of disinfected soda cans to the fridge. The added thermal mass has cut the temperature swings by 50%. The fridge is now cycling from 33-38 degrees. I'm going to give it 24 more hours before investing the 60 bucks into a temp controller. In retrospect, I should have done all of this prior to getting the meat. Live an learn... I guess.

Pics and process on the way. I'll try to document a couple times a week.

Steve

This has sort of got me started thinking about the roast order for this year's Christmas dinner. It would be cool to do a dry age with the next one. I usually order an angus prime/prime 4-7 rib standing roast. Depending on how many are coming.

This got me thinking about ordering earlier and try dry aging.

I have a fridge in the basement, small but "largish" dorm size. If I can maintain temps (it does) would I only need a means to suspend and a way to promote airflow? Airflow seems to be a simply thing to get done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve S.:
Regarding the temp swings. I added a twelve pack of disinfected soda cans to the fridge. The added thermal mass has cut the temperature swings by 50%. The fridge is now cycling from 33-38 degrees. I'm going to give it 24 more hours before investing the 60 bucks into a temp controller. In retrospect, I should have done all of this prior to getting the meat. Live an learn... I guess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Johnson's are cheaper and the more mass you add in the fridge, the less fluctuation you will have. There is a natural large difference in fridge temps from the temp they start to shut off. The controller just shrinks that difference. If you have troubles keeping the high temp below 40, then I would look into a controller.

I converted a dorm fridge into a 2 tap system for corney kegs. If I have 2 full kegs at temp in the fridge, mine won't cycle for over 18 hours. The more I drink, the more often it cycles.

Back