Dry aged Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Lax

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently saw an Alton Brown re-run where he dry-aged a prime rib roast. Has anyone ever tried this with brisket? Would this enhance the taste of brisket like it does for prime rib? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

They don't last that very long my refrigerator before they get put on the smoker!

The theory behind dry aging is to dessicate or dehydrate the meat at cold temperatures to concentrate the beef flavor by letting some of the water evaporate out.

I'm no food scientist, but one would think that would be more critical in a tender cut of beef like a prime rib or a steak with a relatively short cooking time. Whereas the lowly, tough brisket has plenty of beef flavor already. Like most tougher cuts.

That being said, in a recent Paul Kirk Pitmaster class here in the San Francisco bay Area, Paul mentioned that he prefers certified Angus beef, aged (for I can't remember how many days. Chris A, do you recall?) I also don't recall wether he meant dry aging like Alton Brown does, or just aged in cryovac.

Another good question is this: Is't all beef aged to some degree before it is sold? For how long?

Excellent question. Let me see if I can round up answers from Paul on his brisket aging preferences.

There are some competitive BBQers who wet age their briskets in the Cryovac in the fridge for several weeks. A while back on The BBQ Forum, I read that one competitor wet-aged his briskets for as long as 45 days from the date of packing printed on the case box.

In the book "The Complete Meat Cookbook", the authors mention 36*F as a target storage temp. They write, "This form of aging will help to tenderize the meat by the same enzymatic processes involved in dry-aging. But because wet-aging involves no loss of moisture through evaporation, the flavors do not become concentrated as they do with dry-aging."

In answer to HJP's question, yes, all beef is wet-aged to some extent, from the time it's Cryovaced until the time it is removed from the Cryovac. Again from the aforementioned book, "Most meat we purchase these days is not deliberately aged. It will most likely be 4 to 10 days old, depending on how fast the shop turns its inventory and how long it takes to get from the packing house to the meat case."

That may be true at a place like Costco, but my guess is that much of the meat I see at a place like Cash & Carry is certainly more than 10 days old.

Regards,
Chris

Merle Ellis the author of the Complete Meat Cookbook stayed at my home for a few days a couple of years ago, he is a wealth of knowledge. When dry aging the target temp of 36? and the correct humidity are critical to making it work. For most cooks doing it in your home is not a good choice.
We have wet-aged but I can't say that I found the end product worth the exercise.
Jim

Thanks to everyone!
I will be waiting to hear Paul's answer !!
Thanks for asking him Henry! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim...

You lucky dog!! Merle Ellis as a house guest?? That is awesome!

I have been an admirer of his since reading several of his articles. He explodes MANY myths about cooking meat.....only flip meat once?? NO WAY! Don't pierce the meat? NO WAY!! Dry aging at home? NO WAY!!

Dry aging requires 3 things to be present and all 3 of these need to be regulated VERY closely.......Temp, humidity and air flow. Butchers who age meats have all of these in specially built aging rooms. This is one reason you don't see it to much any more....lots of equipment and time involved.

Good stuff... I never knew he wrote a book! I will be purchasing that one soon!

OK...eventually I will get this post right!!

Here is an excellent article on Aging Beef....

Aging Beef

OK..I need some clarification here.

Merle Ellis did not write the Complete Meat Cookbook, but did author a book called, The Great American Meat Cookbook.

Anyone ever read this one?

Thanks!

Correct. The Complete Meat Cookbook is written by Bruce Aidells and Dennis Kelley. That's the one I own and I highly recommend it.

I have not read Merle Ellis's cookbook but I have heard it's great.

Well fellars I did it.
Dry aged brisket exactly as Alton described aging the rib roast.
I used John Willingham's recipe in his book for brisket. and a blend of apple and mesquite(light on the mequite)
It was very good

Thanks Doug /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back