Drippings from SWM. - a lot ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Morning all,

I was reading Chris's amazingly detailed instructions just now, and he wrote the following
about a type of pan that I should buy... is one of those pans that one can buy if you do your own oil changes, and you let the old oil from the car drip into? if so I know the one, but wanted to ask first.

#2 - I didn't notice any holes on the bottom of the SWM, so how does stuff leak out of it ? and is there quite a bit ?

thanks in advance.
Mark
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

" Protect Your Patio

To protect your patio or deck while using your Weber Bullet, put your cooker on top of a large-sized automobile oil drip pan (available at auto centers for under $10). It catches any drips or spills from the cooker and gives you someplace to set down the lid or grates without messing things up. You can even start a chimney of charcoal on the pan without scorching your concrete patio. The pan cleans up easily with soap and water. "

I won't speculate on how drippings get through, but it happens. It's not much, but I agree that you should use something to catch the small embers and funk that drop out the bottom. I use a large aluminum tray that is used under a water heater when it's placed near living space. I bought it for $5 from home depot because it was missing the connector to connect to a drain hose.

Also, I made the mistake once of cooking in the grass. Even with the aluminum shield, it burned a nice, perfectly round, dead spot in the yard. I'd think twice or three times before I'd use a WSM on or near a wood surface.

Hi Ed,

Boy I'm blad you posted! didn't know the heat output was that much from the bottom, okie dokie, it won't be going on the deck that's for sure, unless I buy a big piece of metal to put under it. Yeah go inside for 2 minutes come back out and the deck is on fire.... ( yikes ! )

anyway thanks for the warning.

Mark

You can use one of those floor protectors that get put in front of fireplaces. Another option is to buy a precast concrete slab that is used to place outdoor air conditioners on.

I have some old galvinized steel lawn edging about 4" wide by 8' that I have bent in to a circle and pop riveted together. I'm either going to fill with concrete or place bricks for the legs and fill with gravel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBQ Mark:
[qb]#2 - I didn't notice any holes on the bottom of the SWM, so how does stuff leak out of it ? and is there quite a bit ? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sometimes a large piece of meat, like a whole brisket, can't help but touch the side of the WSM. If where it's dripping fat is directly above a bottom vent, you can have a leak situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBQ Mark:
[qb]... is one of those pans that one can buy if you do your own oil changes, and you let the old oil from the car drip into?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I looks like this: Oil drip pan

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

ah, ok, so it's more like a carpet thingie, I guess you are talking about the large retangular thing you have all the BBQ equipment on.

Ah ok, an image is worth a thousand words /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

Mark,

I got a similar oil drip pan from an auto parts store. I think I paid $12 for it. It's nice to have a place to put down the lid, when messing with the inside ofr the WSM. There's usually black "stuff" on the bottom edge of the lid, that will leave a nice black circle on whatever you place it on. The drip pan keeps this circle off the deck.

I've also used my WSM on my deck without any resulting burn marks underneath. There's seems to be sufficient air circulation between the bottom of the WSM and the drip tray that prevents the tray from getting overly hot. At least, that's what my experience has shown and I've done a number of "low n' slows" as well at a number of chicken/turkey running between 300 and 350 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back