Drip pans

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
Rookie gasser here. Want to indirect cook a whole chicken, not rotisserie. Does one use a drip pan as I would on my kettle?

TIA

mark

You can. It saves some mess inside the grill. I use them for things like this, or cooking ribs low and slow, etc

FYI, the drip pan will essentially negate "direct" cooking by placing a barrier between the heat source and the chicken. However, I think you will that is a preferred way to go for chicken unless you are trying to quickly crisp up the skin. Otherwise, you might find you have a dried up tough piece of chicken if you cook it for long over direct heat.

This is a pretty good video. His channel has some pretty good uses for items cooking on a rotisserie with a Weber Grill.

Last edited:
You could use a drip pan, but not necessary at all. Unless I was trying to do a low/slow on the gasser, I've never used a drip pan on my gasser.

If you have north/south burners, turn on the left side and put the chicken on the right side. Since the right side burners are off, you should have no problems with drips hitting the flav bars below. To clean the flav bars, 5 seconds with a putty knife or wire brush is all you need.

Also, I'd recommend a vertical poultry rack (basically beer can chicken but with the center open) for this cook. The results are rotisserie-esque..

Last edited:

Back