drip pan cleaning

Mark M

I know this has been discussed at lengh before, but I have a heck of a time cleaning my drip pan..there never seems to be time after grilling and after the pan sits for a day or so it seems impossible to get the stuff scraped off..I line the bottom with several layers of heavty duty foil, but the liquid always gets underneath and bakes on...this seems to be the only thing I do not like about maintaining my WSM..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Do you spray it with Pam before you fill it with water? That has helped me clean it, and don't let it burn dry. just fill it and let it soak for a while with a degreaser. It doesn't have to be spotless anyway.

Greased Lightning is a good degreaser to use. I don't use foil on the inside of the pan, nor the outside. I think your foil may be causing you a problem. I only have burn on where the water has evaporated, so if your pan is kept full, you'll have less of a problem. Also, spraying the pan with pam before use will help.

Paul

Mark, you need to be careful not to tear the foil when lining the pan. Are you using the extra-wide foil? I normally use only one layer and have never run into problems. The one time I forgot to foil was a real mess. Water was used up overnight and everything baked on. Had to throw it on the gasser for a few hours and burn the darn thing clean.

I find that wide heavy duty foil works great. Of course I also use a bbq guru so I don't put water in the pan. I use 3 or 4 crumpled layers of foil covered by the heavy duty foil. Clean up takes me about 10 seconds.

Don't be too fastidious, I'd rather have a few remnants of a previous cook in my pan than remnants of a cleaning product.
That said when I've been smoking fish....I usually give the dog first bash at it!
For pork or beef I usually wipe the worst off with newspaper (it's good for lighting the fire at this time of year) and a quick wash with washing up liquid and warm water then a good rinse.

A soak in washing soda dissolved in v. hot water moves it easily - and no nasty residues to worry about.

I wouldn't worry about the pan. Get it somewhat clean and spend 4 bucks next year at Bass for a new one. The pan is nearly impossible to get squeaky clean, so I stopped trying so hard.

Just my opinion.

Back