Drew-B-Que

I think repositiong the therm is not because you didn't locate it correctly to start, but a butt has different muscle areas and you may well need to see temp in another area when your temp based on the size of the meat and lenght of the cook is highly suspect.

Paul

Somewhere between 16-20 hours either the butt gives up or I surrender. With pork buttts, I have not been disappointed which ever one of us gave up first. They all have eaten well whether they hit a target temp of not.

I think I read somewhere that near the bone is the last place you want to put the thermometer, b/c it is one of the hottest parts of the butt b/c of the bone.
Anyone know if this is true?

James - other way around. Bone is a poor conductor of heat because it is low density (hollow and filled with little air pockets). If the therm is resting near a bone, the temps may read lower than the meat, leading to overcooking.

My first WSM cook was two 7lb bone in butts that I pulled at 12.5 and 13.5 hours at about 190. Got too hungary to go much longer. Both turned out good. I've found butts to be fairly forgiving, at least on the under-done side.

Keep yer head up and get a couple of big ones on ASAP to boost your confidence before cooking for a crowd.

James, it is my understanding you will not get an accurate reading next to the bone. Your assumption that it is a good conductor of heat is probably correct.

edit: Perhaps I am wrong. I do know, common knowledge is that next to the bone is not accurate.

Back