Drawing of the diferrent meat beef and pork cuts?

Eduardo

Hello, I am having problems to identify some of the cut´s names you employ to apply to my recipes in Spain.

Can you link me a picture of drawaing of the diferent names the cuts of pork and cow receive in USA so I can make my mind on it?

Thanks in advanced.

If you tell me the name of the cut you're thinking of in Spanish I might be able to tell what you're looking for in English or vice versa.

Thanks a lot, thats exactly what I was looking for.

PS: Dave, thanks for your offering... I am still lookinf for the spanish word for pork "butt".

"Espaldilla" is the word for shoulder or "butt." It might also be called "Cabeza del lomo" but that refers more to the collar area AKA coppa (in Italian or cured meats lingo). Cabeza del lomo will typically be the more tender part of the butt, and contains what we call the "money muscle" in BBQ terms.

You also might find butts labeled "paletilla" but this refers more to the lower shoulder which in english we call the "picnic" cut

9AKPQ.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help Dave.

I think is gona be quite hard for me to find "paletilla" in Spain for barbecuing, because I have always seen it already cured as in our famous hams.

The most typical pork meats I can find raw for barbecuing are what you would call tenderloin (solomillo in spanish), loin (lomo) or ribs (costillas).

By the way, another typical dish we have is called "cochinillo" wich is the baby pork, with no more than 21 days of life (always fed only on its mother milk), "asado" (roasted) the whole animal with just garlic, olive oil and vinegar, so the skin becomes real crispy and the meat so tender is, indeed, cut with a dish instead of a knife.

Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
"Espaldilla" is the word for shoulder or "butt." It might also be called "Cabeza del lomo" but that refers more to the collar area AKA coppa (in Italian or cured meats lingo). Cabeza del lomo will typically be the more tender part of the butt, and contains what we call the "money muscle" in BBQ terms.

You also might find butts labeled "paletilla" but this refers more to the lower shoulder which in english we call the "picnic" cut

9AKPQ.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that Cabeza del lomo references part of a butt but it's possible that in Spain it's called something different. Cabeza del lomo is what I use when dealing with Mexican/South American Spanish speakers here. It could be different in castellano.

Back