Double Walled, Insulated, Weber Kettle Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie D

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys. I ran into a cool idea the other day. Check out the link at the end of this post. A guy made a propane pizza oven by placing an 18 inch kettle inside a 22 inch with insulation between. This looks like a great way to make a very efficient version of our beloved Weber kettle. I would like to make one to cook with small amounts of lump charcoal in the summer or winter like the Bubba Keg or Big Green Egg.

Goal: $75 to $100 total cost to build a double walled, insulated Weber Kettle with a hinged lid, mounted thermometer, and heat diffuser (plate setter).

It would be great to place a 22 inside a 26, but If I find a cheap 26 inch.... I'm using it without modification for the space. Anyway, the first step is to find a couple of cheap kettles on Craigslist. I see them for $20 or less all the time.

Strip the 18 inch lid and kettle to go inside the larger one. Secure the two lids and two kettles together with bolts and spacers to keep the space between uniform.

Here is where I would love some input... What can be used for cheap insulation? Hinges? Heat diffuser / plate setter? I think the toughest part is going to be fitting the lids together perfectly without having foil hanging all over the place. The original creator did a good job with a sheet metal ring and oven rope.

What do you guys think? I'm not great with this type of stuff. But, I love it. Here is the link to the double-walled kettle.

http://www.fornobravo.com/foru...conversion-9229.html

Bunched up tin foil
icon_biggrin.gif

I remember that thread on FB.
I also post at Forno Bravo and in the planning stages of building my WFO in my patio.
But as far as my Weber goes I'm leaving it alone as it cooks up some decent pizzas.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry for the confusion. The link is to the double-walled propane pizza cooker. I want to make one for high heat or slow cooking. Mine will use charcoal.

George, you pizza guys come up with the best ideas for high-temp cooking. I find that a lot of ideas involve heat retention techniques which also come in handy for slow cooking bbq in all weather conditions. Good luck with the WFO. I would love to have one. Maybe some day if I have a nice patio area.

I have been thinking about this. This is a cool idea, but I have some comments.

First of all, the grills in the link do not look like Webers. I'd use a Weber for more durability.

He used an 18.5 inside a 22.5 and insulated in between them, and with a 30,000BTU burner, he got more heat than he needed.

I was thinking about just cutting the bottom of an 18.5 OTS and mounting the same $30 wok burner with no insulation and no double wall. With a pizza stone, this should give me enough heat to cook the occasional SMOKE FREE pizza.

He also added a 3 inch chimney for airflow, which seems excessive. I would hope the Weber vent alone would provide enough airflow.
Perhaps his issue was the vents for his two nested lids didn't line up well.

THoughts?

Darrel,
I think you would have a pretty decent cooker with much less work if you make what you described. I want one with double walls for winter cooking. I kind of like the outer grill used in the post because it already has the hinges. Anybody know what brand grill that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back