Double up on grill grates

Wes

I had been thinking for a long time that I wanted more grill grate surface area than the stainless grill grates provided. I thought about getting the cast iron ones but didnt want to deal with the upkeep. I like the stainless for its ease of use. Then it occurred to me to just flip one grate over onto the other. I have only tested it with a couple pieces of fish, but i like it and if some more tests go well I might buy another set to cover the other side. What do you think? Pro's? Con's? Thats some blackened grouper. 61378272455__9AC4A9C4-3293-4E19-A1CE-3C184C88FFB2.JPG

No reason why not. I have done that. But now I have custom grates by Dave Santana on my Wolf with nearly that tight of spacing

The cast iron grids won't work well with your flip method. They don't nest or mesh like the stainless rods grids.

The cast iron grids won't work well with your flip method. They don't nest or mesh like the stainless rods grids.
Yeah I wouldnt use those for that but they do have nice wide grates for the extra surface area. Just too much upkeep for my tastes.

What is the purpose of doing this?

To get more metal/grill marks on the food? To keep things from falling through?

If so, you could do that with a griddle/flat top insert. Or a couple of sections of GrillGrates (one side has wide rails and a catcher bottom plate; other side flat with some small vent holes).

What is the purpose of doing this?

To get more metal/grill marks on the food? To keep things from falling through?

If so, you could do that with a griddle/flat top insert. Or a couple of sections of GrillGrates (one side has wide rails and a catcher bottom plate; other side flat with some small vent holes).
Hi Jim - I like the extra surface area that's hot and touching the food for some extra searing action. Not quite a griddle, but better than the widely spaced grates. I am thinking I would like a griddle insert though.

Talk to Dave Santana and ask him to customize a set for you with 2mm spacing. They will probably cost you about $200, but they would be flat and not have the cross bars sticking up.

Back