Door

DSCN4598.jpg

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4602.jpg

DSCN4603.jpg

The 22" door seems to curve a whole lot more than the 18.

I just noticed that the door of my 18 is not locking properly. When I turn the knob, the locking mechanism on the other side does not move. Then the knob wants to unscrew itself off. I'm going to give Weber a call, I'll pay for a replacement as the smoker is a 2006 model and not covered by warranty. I wonder if they'll just sell me the knob and locking mechanism??? The door itself fits like a glove.

Weber will be sending me a new knob and locking mechanism for free! I offered to pay for it but they weren't having none of that. Weber has exceeded my expectations.

If you do a search, there's a great mod, where you take that brass insert out of the lexan handle, drill through it and put a hex bolt through it with the washers, lock and a nut on the end. This allows you to adjust and tighten the mechanism much more than you can without stripping out the insert. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Luis!

Ok.. it's hard to tell, and for those of you that have both can tell....

the 18 has a few curves to it. at the bottom of the door, the radius matches the radius of the center section very closely. but the upper half is a little less. when the door is latched, it spreads out to match the lower radius.

if you look at the top view looking down (like on the park bench photo) you can see the 18's difference. it's those profiles that were never matched on the 22.

Thanks Luis!

Luis,

On your 18", always spin the lock to the right, everytime you open or close the door, thereby always tightening the mechanism. You sure went from stick burning to Weber cooking fast! Love it!

I have a little gap on my 22, but don't want to deal with bending it. My 18 has a nice coating, so no leaks there. The only time the gap is an issue is when I shut down the cooker, but now I throw the lid from a performer on top to shut it down. Might get an SS from Cajun Bandit one day just because I like the look... or I could spend the money on meat.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Luis,

On your 18", always spin the lock to the right, everytime you open or close the door, thereby always tightening the mechanism.

Ditto, as that's been my experience with the standard door latch on the older version 18". When you go counter clockwise with the knob you often end up loosening the latch assembly.

Back