Don't brine self basting birds????

While I'm no expert on the subject, I believe the answer for many lies in what Chris A said in his Turkey Selection and Preparation Guide:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, there's no harm in flavor brining a self-basting turkey. It's just more difficult to know how much of what you're tasting is the result of brining versus the self-basting injection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why are you not supposed to brine a self basting turkey???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they are already brined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why are you not supposed to brine a self basting turkey???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they are already brined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well aware of that. Thanks. Just want to make sure there was nothing else other than the obvious.

I once ran out of time to find a natural bird so I lugged home a self-basting and brined it anyway. You know what? It was one of the best birds I have ever made!

Cheers
Lou

I agree with Lou. You can brine self basting birds. Use less salt than you usually do. You can also add different flavors to the brine like apple cider or different herbs and spices. Last years turkey was self basting and after I brined it with apple cider and burbon it was the most moist and turkey I ever had and it wasn't salty at all.

Back