DONE with Best Buy

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Most of you know that I worked at Best Buy for 3 yrs in the Computer Sales dept.
I've tried to buy and order from them when I could, but this is it,
I'M DONE WITH BEST BUY...FOREVER!
I ordered a new Solid State drive for my computer. It arrived today...without any packing material in the box! Free to bounce around during shipment, and get dinged up. Look at the size of the cardboard box compared to the size of the small box inside. Somebody just doesn't give a s***!
I'll be calling Corporate Customer Service to complain tomorrow.
The drive works, but that's not the issue. Treat my drive the same way you'd treat yours!
1618428098138.png

Seems reasonable to me 🤣

They could do like Newegg does and pack a heavy power supply with a couple of those worthless air pocket things so it bounces around the whole time UPS throws it around like a basketball.

Yea I guess it depends on the person doing the actual boxing.
I've had stuff shipped from HD, Sam's Club, Best buy. Most of the times it's bubbled wrapped and packed in with paper.
Other times ( like you) it's a tiny box in a big box just floating around.

Amazon does the same thing. The OEM packaging should have been fine for it. Frankly I LOVE our Best Buy. Top notch service, great prices. Good people. The package you got would not have bothered me one bit. Like I said Amazon does the same all the time. I will order a small thing and the little box comes inside a big box. Other than wasting cardboard I don't see an issue

I ordered a 6 quart Kitchen Aid mixer (a beast, I call him Gustav) from the Amazon along with a kitchen scale. The mixer and the scale came packaged in the same box with no padding. The scale box was slightly crushed but luckily the the scale was well protected and works to this day.

I ordered a 6 quart Kitchen Aid mixer (a beast, I call him Gustav) from the Amazon along with a kitchen scale. The mixer and the scale came packaged in the same box with no padding. The scale box was slightly crushed but luckily the the scale was well protected and works to this day.
You do know I sell those fully rebuilt AND guaranteed at half the cost of new?

I didn't then. But thank you. I'll keep it in mind. My kids have mine and my mother's old KA's. One is a Hobart

I didn't then. But thank you. I'll keep it in mind. My kids have mine and my mother's old KA's. One is a Hobart
Those old Hobart machines are "da bomb" though on the really old ones (pre 1978 or so) they did not use SSR control simply mechanical with huge resistor in back fan cooled. Those cannot be repaired electrically anymore. I have a handful of spare parts, but because of the issue with repair I do not sell them anymore. I either fix them up and donate them or I give them as gifts. I recently overhauled my mom's old unit (K5A) she bought back in the 60's. Gave it to my daughter. If she takes care of it she'll be handing it down to her newborn daughter some day. The trick is not to let them get too hot. It's their only downfall

Those old Hobart machines are "da bomb" though on the really old ones (pre 1978 or so) they did not use SSR control simply mechanical with huge resistor in back fan cooled.
Next time I'm back home at the farm, I'm gonna have to look at my mother's 5qt bowl lift. I think it's post '78, just starting to wonder about it. Pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times that it's been used since she moved into a care home & passed on (and that's probably 8 years now.) She used it a lot, cakes, cookies, breads. Didn't use attachments much.

So, heat is the enemy of the old resistor models. Is speed or torque the problem?

Frankly I LOVE our Best Buy. Top notch service, great prices. Good people.

I agree, though most often I'll order online for in store pickup as opposed to having them ship it to me. I'll do that even when it's not in stock and I have to wait, so I don't have to worry about porch pirates or the like.

Last time I went in to pick something up I had ordered, I had my driver's license ready to show. The guy says, "Oh, thanks, but I recognize you." Yeah, I may be in there a bit too much.

So, heat is the enemy of the old resistor models. Is speed or torque the problem?
Heat is definitely a big issue on them. They typically fail (in quite spectacular and smell fashion) when people run them too long at high load and low speed. The only other real failure is the arc suppressor. Sometimes they just "pop" or they just fail and then the machine does not run or runs weird or the speed control plate welds itself together.
They can do high speed even high speed with pretty heavy load easily because the fan keeps it cooler. Though if they're running at high load for a while it's best to take the load off and run it on high speed for a couple minutes to get some air through. I had to caution my daughter on the old one I gave her.
The ones that get me though are the people who try to youtube it. I have 2 of them waiting for rebuilds right now and just finished one last week that you could see the tool marks from someone trying to pry it open.

They typically fail (in quite spectacular and smell fashion) when people run them too long at high load and low speed.
Sort of what I suspected. I doubt my brother ever uses it,it probably only gets used during the summer with guests. Thanks.

I looked at the options for "Shipping Support", and Text was the only one where I wouldn't have to wait on 'hold'. ;-)
Got the kind of reply I was expecting..."So the drive is working? Ok, we'll make sure that doesn't happen again."
I did the best thing I could do...not ordering from BBY again.

I get my dog food delivered from a place that starts with C.
A 45# Bag and 24 cans of dog food. Usually they ship the dry in one box ( packed tight) and the cans in another box ( again packed tight)
Last order they placed the whole shebang in one over sized box with no packing. The bag shifted and tore open, leaving me with about 20# of dry dog food scattered on the bottom of the box.

Great customer service, cause I called to complain and they sent out a new order the next day, no charge.
I was not expecting or looking for a freebie, I just wanted to let them to know to do a better job.

Back