Dome Thermometer

B Curry

Hi all,
Have had my WSM 22.5 for 2 years now and up until about 3 months ago, my dome thermometer gave me the "good guess" temp. readings it is supposed to. For the last three cooks, however, the dome reading has been jumping to 185 and holding there when I fire up the WSM minion style as I always have - and normally the rig had gone to 250 quite consistently. I figured maybe it was the Nova Scotia weather, but today was nice and quite warm for here, and when it went to a reading of 185 and stayed I knew it wasn't right. I put an analog oven thermometer in on the grate (I know the temp there will be different, etc.) and left it 5 minutes - it then read 250, dome temp still saying 185. I put a digital pen in the top vent and it read 245. During the cook (back ribs) the oven temp read yo to 275, and I got 290 out of the digital once (just messing around to see what's up) and the dome never went above 200. Now, I don't use the dome for much - a best guess - but seeing it at 185 was a bit unnerving - I know one solution would be to tape over the dome dial and forget it, but has anyone else had this experience? I could also go and get a digital Maverick to read the grate I suppose, (I've been happy and don't want a meat probe in there all the time), or I could by a new gauge for the dome if that would be worth it? Just ruminating.
Thanks for any ideas,
Bill

Yeah, those analog thermometers that come in the dome are not reliable, I find they don't make it through a winter reliably. You could replace it, but you'll have to replace the replacement in a year or two. I use the old fashioned instant read thermometer in the top vent, comes inside and can be recalibrated if need be.

I would remove it and clean it to see if it makes a difference, then stick it in a pan of boiling water to check the 212 mark......................d

The one thing I don't like on permanently installed lid therms is if you ever accidentally drop the lid or have it get knocked down on that angle, the therm is toast.
I prefer a cheap turkey fryer therm that clips into the top vent. Cost's about $8.00 and you have to remove it to shut the top vent . Also has a nut on the back, so you can recalibrate it if needed.
My Tel-Tru doesn't, and that was a quality therm when I bought it.

Tim

Back