Doing chicken Halves on the wsm tomorrow, what works best high heat or smoking range?

TimO

Hello. I will be doing chicken halves tomorrow and I am wondering the best way to do it? I will be marinating them in Italian dressing. I have looked over the instructions in the beginner section and I'm just wondering if that is the best way? Thanks

Hi,

I always do chicken "high heat" because I don't think there is any benefit from "low & slow" with poultry. Shoot for 350°. Keep the water pan dry, just covered with foil to catch the drippings.

Al

I like to basically crank it as hot as it will reasonably go, they will be done in about an hour. About 1/3 ring of unlit lump, about 1/3 chimney of lit on top, 2-3 chunks of wood of your choice (hickory/apple mix is fantastic, cherry is great, maple…pecan…you get the picture). Empty, foiled covered pan. Chicken on top grate. All vents wide open, lid slightly askew or door upside down and propped open an inch or so. Vent temp easily gets to 450. Don’t peak for 45 minutes, check temp (likely will be about 145), check again in 10 minutes or so. This is a no-brainer, best bang-for-the-buck cook for beginners or pros alike. Hands down some of the best chicken I ever make.

Don - have you ever done chicken on the top grate without the water pan / saucer baffle so that you're essentially grilling direct, but with the meat quite a ways above the coals and any resulting flame ups from dripping fat?

I'm wondering if by doing this, I could approximate the methodology for what I have seen described as Cornell chicken or State Fair chicken?

Just wondering if you have any any experience omitting the heat baffle (water pan) for chicken.

Pat

Pat, I do chicken on the lower grate with no water pan. Works great, flame-ups are not a problem. Go easy on the smoke wood at first. Easy to overwhelm the chicken with smoke.

I've been wanting to try the Roadside Chicken - this seems like the perfect time.

We'll be smokin in the snow - which is VERY unsusual in Central Alabama - but we've got from a dusting to a couple of inches here this morning. While all you folks from the great white north are yucking it up that we would even notice such a meager snowfall, its a cause for celebration here!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pat

I've done both hot and fast and low and slow. doesn't seem to make much difference. Will do on my grill next time, easier clean up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Don - have you ever done chicken on the top grate without the water pan / saucer baffle so that you're essentially grilling direct, but with the meat quite a ways above the coals and any resulting flame ups from dripping fat?

I'm wondering if by doing this, I could approximate the methodology for what I have seen described as Cornell chicken or State Fair chicken?

Just wondering if you have any any experience omitting the heat baffle (water pan) for chicken.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat, no I have not tried this, others here have - I can't say why I have not tried it, Iguess that the way I described works well for me and is just about the easiest cook I do...easy is good in bbq
icon_biggrin.gif

Roadside is good stuff. I usually do mine on the kettle with high heat. The low/slow chicken I have done has always ben drier than desired, so high heat is the way to go for me.

I've never done any without the water pan, may have to give it a whirl. I have done nan (indian flat bread) without the pan, and it was excellent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat,
Tried it tonight with excellent results (just as described above but with no pan...temps got up to 450+, after 30 minutes I put the lid back on normally temp fell to 350 and 30 min later it was done). Now an easy clean up has turned into a no clean up...thanks to all for the info and to Pat for making me think about trying it.

While I agree that the high high and especially the roadside recipe is worth pursuing, I would add that the lower temps work out great too with very minimal effort if you are already cooking.

I have a friend that is much more inclined to chicken than red meat (I include the other white meat in that category). In spite of such blasphemy, I like everyone stuffed and smiling at the end of the feed. If you are already smoking a butt or a brisket and already have the low smokey temps, you can make great chicken too.

I spatchcock the birds the day before and brine them in a simple brine (.75 C salt, .75 C molasses, one gallon water) overnight. Pat dry and season with a rub. Stick a probe thermometer in a thigh and put em on about 2 hours before you think you will pull the meat. The birds are done when you hit 170 in the thigh. Wrap em in foil to rest in a cooler with the rest of the meat.

When it's time to pull the pork or slice the brisket (or both), pull the chicken too. The smoky goodness is awesome.

The only downside of this method:
The skin will be rubbery. I usually discard it when I pull the chicken, but if you want to crisp it up and eat it, you can. Just throw it under a broiler or on a hot grill for a few minutes.

Trev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Hi,

I always do chicken "high heat" because I don't think there is any benefit from "low & slow" with poultry. Shoot for 350°. Keep the water pan dry, just covered with foil to catch the drippings.

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've cooked chicken this way in the past and I can't stand an empty drip pan. After some time, the pan gets so hot, it begins to evaporate the drippings as soon as they hit the pan, leaving you with unnecessary smoke and almost a burning flavor. I can only speak for myself here but that's what I've experienced each time. Since then, I've added a tiny bit of water every couple of hours.

Brian,

To help with that problem, you should wrap your drip pan in foil and then wrap it in foil again. Make sure that the outermost layer is separated from the actual pan by at least a half inch. You can use rolled-up foil balls as buffers to make sure that is the case, or just use tension to keep the top foil elevated.

The air space will insulate the drippings and they won't burn like you describe.

That's more or less what I do. I should have explained regarding the layers of foil in the pan as well as the foil cover.

Al

Back