Doing a butt overnight in the cold. Questions

John_H

TVWBB Member
This weekend I'm going to do an overnight cook. There is supposed to be very little wind but its supposed to get down to around 30 during the night. How will this cold temp decrease the time the coals stay lit. I don't want to wake up and the fire is out. Anyone have any ideas?

John,

Don't know what kind of cooker you will be using but I've done a butt on my 18.5 WSM under similar conditions. I had to open the bottom vents a little more to keep the cooking temperature up which naturally increased my fuel consumption some. I started with a full pan of regular K-blue (Minion light) and when I pulled the meat off after about 11 hours and shut it down, there were still burning coals left. I never had to top it off with additional charcoal and it held about 220-230 degrees the whole time.

Did an Overnight 12# of butt cook in the kettle. Low was about around 40, not much wind. Minion method. Not even 3/4 of a bag of KFB, Pan in the middle to catch drippings. Top Vents wide open, bottom vents about 1/8th inch open. Got temp up to about 220 - 235 and let it settle in. Never looked at it again. Got up in the morning and it was at 210ish. Pulled off at Internal Temp of 190 and wrapped it and coolered it Was outstanding meat.

Another one for you.

Did a cook one Sat. Wind blowing like hell, temp was 39, wind chill was ??? Got grill up to temp, same configuration as above. temp fluctuated from 215 and 260. Meat was AWESOME.

Point is, get to know your cooker, you'll know where you need to be. Both scenarios I had fuel left over and used on the next cook. Either way, It's not the Cooker temp, its the Internal temp that tells you when its done.

If you are using a WSM I don't think the burn time will change much ( unless the wind comes up)but the grill temp of the smoker likely will. With a butt they are pretty forgiving. I would fill up the ring with whatever fuel you are used to using, open everything up, use about a half a chimney of lit and let it go. You're not likely going to hit 275 in any event, if you use water it will be less than than that and there should be enough fuel there to last the night so you should be good.

If you use a briquette that leaves a lot of ash, you might want to kick or tap the legs a few times during the night to knock them down. Ash build-up will decrease the amount of time the fuel stays lit, not so much as a cold night IMO.

Tim

Back