"DOH!" Moment grilling a flank steak

I bought 2 nice flank steaks at Sams. Figured I'd do the reverse sear and finish them on indirect. Four hours later it it was at 135 and it turned out great. But dinner was planned for 6:00 not 9:00. Then the light bulb came on, I bet you're supposed to put the lid on when you cook them indirect.

Cooked the other one last night in under an hour. New favorite cut of beef.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you're supposed to put the lid on when you cook them indirect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes - LOL.

Ray

Flanks are usually fairly thin cuts, 1.5 inch or so. How about simply direct sear on both sides?...That should give you a medium rare steak in about 6 minutes. You might need to indirect for another minute or two to finish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Flanks are usually fairly thin cuts, 1.5 inch or so. How about simply direct sear on both sides?...That should give you a medium rare steak in about 6 minutes. You might need to indirect for another minute or two to finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Gary. I love good sears and flank is lean so there's no need for indirect unless stuffing and rolling.

For fajitas with flank or skirt, I can squeeze one of each on either side of my veggie basket over a single zone fire. Every time though, it makes me want a big 26.75" kettle a little more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Flanks are usually fairly thin cuts, 1.5 inch or so. How about simply direct sear on both sides?...That should give you a medium rare steak in about 6 minutes. You might need to indirect for another minute or two to finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did sear them on each side for 7 minutes, then put the probe in and it read 104. About half hour later it was up to 113 when I put the lid on. and it cooked the rest of the way in about 15 minutes.

Brian, use your lid and I think you'll be surprised at how much more efficient things can cook.

Minimizing fat in the fire flavor when grilling fatty rib-eyes, burgers, and such is the only reason I know of for grilling with the lid off.

Back