Does the twine have to be kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
I always forget something! It's 9:24PM, the guru is getting the WSM up to speed, and I'm pulling 2 boneless butts out of the fridge. It's almost Showtime!

I recall that Chris said to tie the boneless kind in a few spots with "kitchen twine", but I forgot to get some. D'oh!

Rummaging around, I found some "Biodegradable 100% natural fiber Twine". Will that do?

Standing by, and thanks!

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
...have you ever smelled hemp burning? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_eek.gif
. . . Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good (James Brown)

OK, they're on, and they're wrapped in regular twine.

I gotta say, I don't care for these boneless butts. They're floppin' all over the place. I forget where I bought 'em -- either Costco or Sam's -- but I do remember that boneless was all they had.

Anywho, I'll report back on the use of non-kitchen twine on butts. If you don't hear back from me, that means it was toxic.
icon_smile.gif

Doug

Not to worry, all the natural fiber strings are okey dokey. You just don't want nylon/plastic/synthetic stuff in there.

Doug,

Hey did someone say...hemp twine...can I get some of that LOL. Guess you'd get more than just smokey flavor LOL.

I like doing the boneless type and don't really go to the trouble to tie them. Really depends on how the bone was removed. If they made a HUGE cut when they removed it then I tend to tie them. I look at it this way....the hole where the bone was....is just more surface area I get to cover with rub and more BARK for me.
icon_smile.gif

***More than my 2cents but hey...I don't have any change
icon_frown.gif
*** LOL NICE day to smoke something here in FLORIDA...for once no Hurricane. To bad I'm stuck at work
icon_frown.gif

The boneless shoulders I got from Costco looked like they had been butchered with either:
a) a grenade
b) a maniac wielding a chainsaw

I had a fit trying to get those suckers hog-tied. Finally just took it all off and I'm hoping for the best when it's time to turn.

Wow, I'm ***REALLY*** sorry I removed that twine. Just rassled the two of them during the turn; I think they had an escape and a take-down.

Sheesh, so much to learn, so little time to Q.

You know, sometime back I quit flipping porkbutts, and I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the outcome--and I've probably done 50 of them this way. It sure makes handling the boneless variety much easier. I do spray down with apple juice generously, but that's all it takes in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyler Montague:
... sometime back I quit flipping porkbutts, and I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the outcome... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Likewise...No AJ unless I have to go in there for something else
icon_smile.gif

Tyler,

I'm a convert starting immediately. The butts I have going are going to finish exactly as they are - good, bad or indifferent.

I don't turn them or spray them or mess with them at all till they're done so no twine needed. No fuss, no muss.

I have flipped, slathered, sprayed, had heat loss and spikes, and Butts always come out good. They are the newbies best first cook IMHO. Pulled Pork Rules!
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimbo M.:
The boneless shoulders I got from Costco looked like they had been butchered with either:
a) a grenade
b) a maniac wielding a chainsaw
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, Jimbo! Mine was from Costco too and it looked butterflied as opposed to de-boned!

BTW, the grenade comment made me LOL and so I got to explain everything you wrote to my 7-yo daughter...

Does anyone know what it is Costco thinks is being done with the majority of the butts they sell that they only offer them boneless? I would think most would rather have bone-in, and pay less for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back