Does it really taste better the next moring? How come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,

Made the salmon (brown sugar rub) and the salmon (brined appetizer) from the cooking topics page the other day. Followed the directions and used apple. Both recipes came out great and there was much rejoicing that evening.

Here's the thing. The next morning we all tried some of the leftovers and we all agreed they were even better than the prior evening.

Anybody have any thoughts on why?

Well, I'm no Alton Brown.....Some foods do taste better after a "rest". I think the spices have a chance to permeate within the food.

I know my Red Gravies taste better after a "sleep-over" in the refrigerator....I never had fish taste better though.

I remember reading a post from Stogie one time...I think he stated that if something was left over night the flavor would be more intense than right off the cooker!

I found that to be the case myself...I love leftover PP sammiches!

Yes it does. I did a chuck roll yesterday to reheat and eat today. After its pulled the bark with all the rub and smoke on it gets to work into the whole mix. Today i will put some in a pot and warm it up and then add the BBQ for the pulled beef samies. Bryan

Plus I think being around the smoke all day kind of desensitizes your sense of taste. Taking a shower right after you finish cooking or near the end helps a lot.

Hey Rob O,
Where on LI are you from? I'm from Northport and I think there might only be a few of us smokers from here.

Nick P.

I agree with Brian...I smoked 2 racks of babybacks yesterday and after tending to them all afternoon...i really wasn't all that hungry. My wife and my son chowed down but I saved mine for tonight. I felt like I would enjoy them more if I waited.

Hey all. So the appetizer salmon continued to get better through day 4. After that.... well I'm not that brave.

As far as ribs go I guess I'm not making enough. I haven't had any leftovers the next morning yet
icon_biggrin.gif

BTW Nick P. I'm from Pt. Washington. You're right haven't run into too many smokers out here. 'Lotta people talk about BBQ but haven't found too many who actually do it.

That's why I love this forum. No way I could figure this all out on my own.

I'm with Brian L that posted above. After being around the smoke all day, I feel like I enjoy the meal better if I shower first.

I also have a side box smoker that I burn only wood in. I have to tend that thing every 15 minutes and I am so sick of the smoke smell by the time the food is ready that I enjoy to food more the next day.

I cooked for my in-laws this past weekend and they said the ribs were even better the next day. I doubted it, but I think they were right.

About the shower, I agree.
I've been bringing the meat in to rest, taking a shower, and change of clothes ... everything feels fresher.

morganism

Idunno, I kinda like the smoke smell. I wish there was a car freshener that smelled like a BBQ contest.
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back