Does BBQ tend to raise your bad cholesterol values?

I would add what Lance points out is important. It is hard to control the fat in the meat. It is up to you to control what you put on the meat during cooking. I have made dry rubs with no salt or sugar in it. You can make your own BBG sauce also so you know what is in it. When cooking ribs I smoke the the first hour or so then wrap in foil until the last 30 minutes of cooking when I put on the BBQ sauce. It appears to leach out a little more of the fat that way. On Brisket the knife is your friend. Trim the fat off before you serve it. Even that little bit you think couldn't hurt.
Smoke other stuff.Whole butterfly chickens are great. Fear no Fish! Start with something like Salmon at low temps cover the topside with a salsa maybe a peach or mango and serve when it flakes. The great part about using the smoker is if you leave fish on 10-15 minutes after it is done.It is still alright. Do that on the stove and it is ruined.Turkey breast or whole turkeys are another treat.Start with the turkey breast as they are easier then whole turkey.My warning is you will get hooked again on your WSM. It does cook more then beef and pork. AS for vegetables try some baby bok choy slice in half . Spice it up and let the smoker do it thing. You want them still a little crunchy when done.But it really absorbs the flavor.asparagus grilled or smoked (rafted speared) served with a little Walden Farms Creamy bacon dressing is always a hit The dressing is sugar free and fat free. When you tasted it on the asparagus you would never know it.
Last thing is moderation.My example is at out house when I cook rib eye steak. One steak feeds My wife ,daughter (24) and myself.Yes I would love to eat the whole thing.But I don't want to eat tofu that much either. Which by the way can be smoked.

Last thing is moderation.My example is at out house when I cook rib eye steak. One steak feeds My wife ,daughter (24) and myself.Yes I would love to eat the whole thing.But I don't want to eat tofu that much either. Which by the way can be smoked.

Jim, please tell me you meant to say rib eye ROAST and not steak that feeds your entire family. At least comfort me and tell me it's a 5 lb steak.

Erik

Geez, I was hoping you wouldn't bring up that topic!

Agree with everyone here -- everything in moderation. I do much less BBQ in the winter, so I like to thing that allows for a bit more in the warmer months.

Just repeating what has been said many times above. Moderation is the key. I love to smoke, find it a fun, interesting and challenging hobby. I now give away almost all that I cook – boy have I made some good friends! High cholesterol is no reason to get rid of the smoker, just to reduce the amount of animal fat you eat. I now do more chicken and even gave salmon a try (turned out fantastic). Jerky also is fun to do and really gives you that smoked flavor with low fat. Smoking food is addictive but eating a lot of fat it is not good for you. Period.

I read this thread and then just happened to be getting my bloodwork done. My cholesterol is through the roof, and I'm in very good shape.

It's the damn WSM!! It's killing me.

icon_wink.gif

I was going a little nuts with all the smoked meats. Maybe pork 4 times a week was a bit much.

Moderation is the key...

8 oz of Pork Ribs - 824 Cal, 67.2 g of fat (24.8 Saturated Fat), 264mg Cholesterol, 232mg Sodium.

8 oz of Pulled Porks - 500 Cal, 36 g of fat (12 g Saturated Fat), 152mg Cholesterol, 128mg Sodium.

At the last checkup with my doc, he noticed my bad cholesterol reading has increased. He asked me if I have made any changes with my diet. I told him I bought a smoker and have been eating more Pork Butt, Brisket, ABT's, and Baby Backs. He told me to sell the smoker and try curd patties.

Somebody needs a better doctor.
icon_wink.gif

Back