Does anyone want to help reverse engineer the Meater BLE probes?

Nathan F

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I have started a project here: https://github.com/nathanfaber/meaterble

I have some demo code and can reliably read the probe temperature and produced a reasonable fit. The ambient needs some work along with battery levels. The goal is to be able to read the probes directly from an RPI or an ESP32 and then use it for anything, I'd like to use it for MQTT.

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Honor Circle
Whoa cool! I looked at reverse engineering this myself when I first got my Meater but didn't get very far so it has just stayed stuck to the side of my refrigerator since the one day I tried. I've never even installed the app. When they said there would be an API for hooking into, I was hoping they'd publish how to connect and receive the data but I guess that was never their plan. It is like the ideal HeaterMeter probe because it can read meat temps and grill temps and is immune to A/C power supply noise. Would be great to get it into the Pi and then have the Pi publish the values to HeaterMeter for a (wired) probeless setup with just a Pi Zero W.

Nathan F

Whoa cool! I looked at reverse engineering this myself when I first got my Meater but didn't get very far so it has just stayed stuck to the side of my refrigerator since the one day I tried. I've never even installed the app. When they said there would be an API for hooking into, I was hoping they'd publish how to connect and receive the data but I guess that was never their plan. It is like the ideal HeaterMeter probe because it can read meat temps and grill temps and is immune to A/C power supply noise. Would be great to get it into the Pi and then have the Pi publish the values to HeaterMeter for a (wired) probeless setup with just a Pi Zero W.
Yea, it would definitely work well for HeaterMeter. I've got the probes streaming with reliable tip temperatures using 5 of my probes and a Pi, I also have the probe ID identified (for block users). The ambient is baffling me, it is almost as if they interpolate into tables based on the tip temperatures. I have fit a few lines but they don't seem to be reproducible for all tip/ambient combinations to produce a reliable ambient.

Do you want to unstuck that Meater from your fridge and see if you see anything interesting? :) I could use another set of eyes for ambient. I have two pieces of code that just run on a Pi, one that dumps and one that attempts to interpret and produces out CSV or Influx formats for known variable fields.

Eric Thomas

TVWBB Member
This probe looks awesome.

Nathan, I'm impressed you were able to fit the temps as closely as you did. But, I opted for the easy route and peeked into the app. I just attempted to PM you at github and sent you a spreadsheet link with several BLE command UUID's and the formulas for the tip and ambient calculations. Please try these against your data and let me know how and where you want to collaborate on it.

My Meater probe arrives tomorrow and now I just need to build my third HeaterMeater to get a Pi Zero based system with BLE .

Nathan F

Hey Bryan,

Eric Thomas and I have been working on getting a basic version working. The github contains sample code that will run on a Pi Zero W and discover all the probes and dump continuous updates to stdout. How did you envision publishing to HeaterMeter? It doesn't look like the remote API currently supports sending probe data, unless I am missing something.

You can take a look at the sample output on the github to get a sense of what we have (https://github.com/nathanfaber/meaterble#running)

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Honor Circle
Oh very nice! No there's not currently a way for an external program to write probe values into HeaterMeter. I think ideally it should publish them up to the HeaterMeter device and then let them trickle back down into the Pi's systems.

Unfortunately right now I am on my 20th consecutive day of work without a day off as the project I am on is in full crunch mode so I am not sure when I'll be able to look at it. At least two weeks I'd say.