Does anybody else not care for Hickory?

Sing it myth me...hickory, oak and cherry oh my...hickory oak and cherry oh my...repeat until significant other threatens to have you committed or you can fill her mouth with BBQ!

On a more serious note, after trying just about every kind of wood I have found that I can do great things with just those three. I have to buy the hickory (insert low Marine Corps growl here), but it is real cheap over at the Home Depot.

sometimes I sneak a little mesquite in on a brisket cook, but mainly for advertising purposes!

Lou,

You have to apply for the job of site comedian. But that's a pretty good start.
icon_biggrin.gif

Great to have you on (the) Board.

Jim

Lou are you a marine/former marine? I would like to say Semper Fi.

As for the hickory I had an incident with hickory a few years back when I had my ECB and I was using chips. Well the hickory was so strong that I could of trashed them. It's a good thing I love ribs or I would have. Nasty! It took me almost 2 years to even bring myself to use it again. After I found this place and purchased a WSM. I started back using only 1 chunk of hickory and fruitwoods. I found it ok. I got a little adventurious a while back and used 2 and oh my. Definately too much for me. That was ribs by the way. I haven't tried 2 on a bigger cut like brisket or butt yet but I expect it wouldn be alright.

I use at minimum of 5 chunks of wood. Sometimes I sub a packet of pellets for chunk of wood, usually Jack Daniels pellets.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
If you haven't tried them I highly reccomend them. Walmart should carry them if you don't want to order. I usually use 1-2 chunks of stronger wood ie hickory, mesquite, or oak then finish with a fruit wood. I try different variations all the time. My newest favorite on ribs is oak, JD pellets, and grape. That grape sure is sweet.

Before I had tried mesquite I really didn't think I was going to like it. I have only used it on brisket and butt but as it turns out I really like it. I haven't used more than 2 chunks so far but I am going to up the count next time.

How does using chips change things? I accidentally bought chips ("What happened to this wood?" <reads bag> "Oh.") I looked around online and ended up soaking them and wrapping them in vented foil. I assume this would give a "chunk effect," but having no frame of reference don't know.

Thanks JRP and Semper Fi Jeff! Yep, former Marine.

Cheers.

PS I let my wood chunks carbonize before covering it with a layer of lit coals. This gives me the "thin blue line" the competative types seem to endorse.

Cheers

I admit that I like just about all the wood mentioned in this topic. Hickory is free around these parts so kind of used to it.Pellets have also become a friend of mine too. Pellets work well in the gasser when I am in a hurry and the flavors they come in are nice to experiment with.

I do love hickory but pecan has become the wood of choice for me. When I cook ribs I let the wood burn down quite a bit before putting the ribs on the grill no matter what the wood. Over smoking ribs is easy to do especially with hickory but just the right amount of hickory smoke is better than sex! OK so I exaggerate sometimes but you get the idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:
I toyed last year with eliminating hickory from my pork cooks and always concluded that something was missing. Added hickory back to the equation and its there to stay...absolutely necessary on pork. I usually mix w/ apple or cherry though. Pulled pork just aint pulled pork w/out some hickory. Fun seeing differing opinions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Joe... I just did a rib and butt cook two weeks ago with apple only and while it was good, I had the sensation of "something missing". I concluded that it was the smokey bite that hickory brings out. I usally mix hickory and apple and I think I will stick that for now.

Tony

I must admit almost all cooks need some stronger wood. For ribs I like to use oak. I have made them a couple of times with just fruitwood and thought they were missing something. Same goes for the brisket and butt. I have been using 1 piece of hickory on them and think it could use more. What I really like to do on the BOB is to use several pieces of mesquite for the strong wood on BOB.

I hadn't used mesquite until my neighbor who just moved in across the street started raving about it. I figured if it tasted like those flavored chips I wouldn't like it. I had to try it out. Turns out I really like it.I haven't used exclusive mesquite on butt or brisket though.

For the longest time, I used nothing but Hickory and mesquite. Havent used either in 6 months or so, been using Cherry, Apple and Pecan. Reading through this thread has made me want to go out and get another bag of Hickory and 'squite now lol. I am one for a lot of smoke flavor, but do tone it down for the rest of the family on the ribs/chicken.

Bob, know what you mean about liking to pour the smoke on. The family thinks i'm over the deep end when it comes to this so I tone it down when they come over. Congrats on your 1000 post by the way
icon_biggrin.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
For the longest time, I used nothing but Hickory and mesquite. Havent used either in 6 months or so, been using Cherry, Apple and Pecan. Reading through this thread has made me want to go out and get another bag of Hickory and 'squite now lol. I am one for a lot of smoke flavor, but do tone it down for the rest of the family on the ribs/chicken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about walnut? can that be used without injuring yourself or your meat (ha-ha)? I was just at family members place and was asking him if he had any fruit woods due to the amount of land he owns. He said they have large amounts of black walnut. I've never seen anyone mention using walnut/black walnut. Also, I can get plenty of oak but I have been hesitant to use it. I have pretty much only used Hickory, Mesquite and Peach (though I'm getting low on that and it was from a tree it removed from my yard). But any one used walnut before?

Thanks, Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom in VA:
How about walnut? can that be used without injuring yourself or your meat (ha-ha)? I was just at family members place and was asking him if he had any fruit woods due to the amount of land he owns. He said they have large amounts of black walnut. I've never seen anyone mention using walnut/black walnut. Also, I can get plenty of oak but I have been hesitant to use it. I have pretty much only used Hickory, Mesquite and Peach (though I'm getting low on that and it was from a tree it removed from my yard). But any one used walnut before?

Thanks, Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - Chris lists walnut as appropriate for smoking. Try it out and report on your results. I think I can get some walnut, too.

Jim

When I ordered my pellets online they sent me about a half dozen samples of other woods also. One of the packets is black walnut. I have also seen it listed on other sites as good for smoking.

I saw somewhere on the forum someone saying that pecan is the little brother of hickory and walnut is hickory's big brother. For that reason alone I haven't tried it. I doubt that I ever do since I find hickory so strong.

Well, I guess I'll talk to my Wife's uncle and see what he can come up with and then try it out. I like a strong smoke flaor so I might enjoy it - we'll see.

Thanks,

Tom

Back