Does anybody else not care for Hickory?

Stephen T

TVWBB Member
These seems to be a really dumb question on a BBQ forum.

For whatver reason, when it comes to pork, I greatly prefer fruit woods with oak to hickory. I've tried mixing it with other woods or minimizing it, and the stuff just seems to taste better without it.

Anybody else?

I don't use hickory on long cooks anymore. Wife thought it to be too strong. Mostly I use orange, pecan and oak. You're right about the fruitwoods as they are really good to use.

This would make a great poll question: What is your favorite smoke wood?

I suspect hickory wouldn't finish that high in the poll. Although most people use it, it seems to be a second or third choice for many.

Personally I like it, I think it defines barbeque for pork. I prefer maple and apple right now, but that will probably change with the seasons.

Hickory was my wood of choice...until I tried Pecan and cherry. I ran out of Hickory last spring and never bought any more because I still have so much pecan and cherry left. I have to order Pecan, but I found a supply of cherry from a guy at work.
If I still had Hickory around the house, I would still use it also.

Yeah, I'm sick of hickory, too. But, it's just so darned .... available. Like Doug D said, I'm even sicker of Mesquite.

I use pellets to get other flavors.

GASSSSSSSSPPPP!!????...Not care for Hickory?
"You ain't from around here are ya boy?" < this is where I would pause to spit if I wasn't sitting at a computer in my office > Like anything else smoke is a matter of personal preference. I myself like smoke. If I'm gonna go to the trouble to "smoke" something I want smoke. A lot of smoke. I want to see it, smell it, feel it, wear it and taste it. I want to show up on a weather satellite somewhere. Trouble is, Hickory is a strong smoke and too much of it can overpower what your cooking. I like to mix it with the afore mentioned milder pecan, apple or cherry for long cooks like butts.For short cooks like chicken and pork tenderloins where you want some smoke flavor but only have a few hours to "get 'er done" I use hickory alone. I will also vary the smoke wood mixture depending on the amount of leftovers I expect to have. The smoke flavor tends to get a little stronger after a day or so in the fridge. If I expect most of the meat to be consumed at the first setting i will go stronger on the smoke than if I think I'm gonna be eating leftovers for a week. I've not had that much experience with mesquite. Maybe I'll try it when I finaly get around to smoking a brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I myself like smoke. If I'm gonna go to the trouble to "smoke" something I want smoke. A lot of smoke. I want to see it, smell it, feel it, wear it and taste it. I want to show up on a weather satellite somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
!!

I like hickory a lot and use it, alone or mixed with a milder wood, frequently, depending on what I'm cooking.

I cannot abide the resinous nature of mesquite for long cooks. It's wood I only use for short high-heat grilling sessions and only for beef. There are better woods, imo, for grilled chicken or pork.

I toyed last year with eliminating hickory from my pork cooks and always concluded that something was missing. Added hickory back to the equation and its there to stay...absolutely necessary on pork. I usually mix w/ apple or cherry though. Pulled pork just aint pulled pork w/out some hickory. Fun seeing differing opinions.

I like it!

I started out with just cherry wood ('cause I had it), tried maple ('cause I had it) and didn't care for it much, tried oak ('cause I had it) and it was OK but a lot of billowing white smoke at times. Finally went and <shudder> BOUGHT hickory ('cause I didn't have it. Hate the thought of buying smoke wood.) Have never tried it by itself, always hafta throw a chunk or two of cherry in with it, but it definitely adds something to the flavor of ribs...and I love ribs. So I guess I can get over my dislike of buying smoke wood.

By the way, did I ever mention I really love ribs.
icon_biggrin.gif

It occurs to me that all the hickory I've used came from a single source. Maybe I need to try different "hickories." So far, it seems to impart an acrid taste that intensifies after refrigerating.

Cherry rules, regardless
icon_smile.gif

I use 1/3 Hickory and 2/3 Cherry on my pork butt cooks. You get a great color on the meat from the Cherry and who could cook BBQ with out the Hickory.

My two cents

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ

Rick, cooked my last three turkeys with nothing but fruitwood. I was almost a convert and ready to give up hickory.But there are certain times when I just want that hickory smell. I've been guilty of smoking meat to death with hickory so that only I could eat it. You're right about the butts and hickory. A little fruitwood takes the edge off.

Hickory has always been my favorite, hands down. I love mixing cherry in with the hickory for an unbelievably unique flavor imprint. I'm also one of those that loves a strong smoke flavor. I've tried the fruit woods and have almost always been dissatisfied (cherry is the exception) with the weak smoke flavor. I also use oak from time to time to mellow the flavor of the hickory. Never liked mesquite much and will probably never use it for any of my cooks.

I really enjoy hickory on pork and chicken. I've never found hickory to be overly strong or bitter for my taste. Since I don't eat the skin on my chicken, hickory is prefect for obtaining a good smoke flavor. Although, I haven't use straight hickory on ribs since I discovered BRITU. I prefer equal amounts of hickory and cherry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Whipple:
... Although, I haven't use straight hickory on ribs since I discovered BRITU. I prefer equal amounts of hickory and cherry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad you mentioned your hickory/cherry mix for BRITU. I tried the exact recipe for the first time recently and thought something was missing. Next time I'll add hickory to my wood mix.

Paul-

I also only cook my poultry with fruit woods or no wood at all. I use hickory with all pork products. So yes I agree with your statement about the Turkey.

Back