Do you serve brisket with sauce?

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
I never have. I've always served mine as sandwiches without. I'd like to try a sauce this weekend though. So what is the traditional brisket sauce. Is it vinegar based, or tomato based. I'm thinking a thin vinegar sauce, something like an au jus consistency or a touch thicker. Alright so who has some recipes floating around they would like to share?

No 5 sauce using the brisket drippings (and rub you used on the brisket) is HIGHLY recommended. IMO you need a sauce that can stand up to the brisket and that will cling to it (ketchup based), which most vinegar sauces don't.

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub
1/4 cup meat drippings (whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Bill S.,
"Cheat" and use Stubb's if you can get it. Perfect for brisket. My bro-in-law does good brisket but is partial to Kraft Honey Mesquite and KC Masterpeice sauce. Ice cream topping if you ask me!LOL

I like the "Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce" from the recipe section, but then I like it on just about everything.

Try this one from Wood Chick's BBQ in VA:
Wood Chick's Brisket BBQ Sauce:

1/2 cup finely chopped onions

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup tomato sauce

1 cup ketchup

1/3 cup chili sauce

3/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup honey

1 cup white vinegar

1 teaspoon allspice

1 tablespoon dry mustard

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons chili powder

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon paprika

3 tablespoons lemon juice

3 tablespoons maple syrup

In a medium to large saucepan, saute the onions in the butter over medium heat until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

I like to add a shot or two of Tabasco.

Thanks for the info......Can't try it out this weekend though. Ended up coming down with the flu yesterday ...... I'll try it next week....Take it easy.

Originally posted by Ken_K:
I like the "Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce" from the recipe section, but then I like it on just about everything.

I've been using similar one for pork. I'll give it a shot with the brisket. I'll cut out the water and use the brisket drippings. I'll put a pan under during smoking for a bit more smokey flavor.

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 TBS mustard
1 TBS dark brown sugar
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
Add some Sweet Baby Rays (to taste). I used 2 or 3 squeezes

whatever sauce you use serve it on the side. i like dipping my bbq brisket in sauce for a few bites and a few bites without. putting sauce on the whole thing removes the option
icon_smile.gif

I never serve a tomato based or vinegar sauce with brisket. I almost always serve a horseradish sauce or my Chipotle mayo for brisket. Just my prefference.
icon_smile.gif

In a pinch I'll put a bottle of SBR on the table. Unrefined, perhaps. But it sure goes well with the SBR burnt ends I made.

I made some bourbon ketchup based sauce one time, that was good. But I haven't cooked enough briskets yet in my young life to decide that they always need to come out the same way.

No sauce. Just the juice from the meat. Sometimes I will use horseradish straight out of the bottle, but that's a personal taste thing.

Back