Do you ever really know?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will more than likely never get into the BBQ competition thing due to my work schedule, so how can I ever really know if my Q is as good as I think it is. Maybe my idea of great Q is really just average? I can say that I like my stuff better than the product I can buy at the local BBQ joints, but maybe there stuff just flat stinks. Any thoughts.

Make some friends on this board, then beg at the next competition next to you.

I am going to look for a sign that says, "Teddy Bear." I have been wanting to try some of his sauce, too.

Mike-

I have competed all of once. I did it not so much to stack my Q up against others, but more so I could hang out with others as crazy as me (wife thinks it's weird to set an alarm for 3a to get up and start the pit), and learn a thing or two. Don't get me wrong, I paid my money, and I'm a competitive guy, so there's that part of it (I won $30 -- spent a good deal more than that on meat, beer, etc.)

I'm going to compete again in Vegas (with Rick Jones an maybe Henry Joe who both post here), and we don't so much expect to win as know that we will have fun, and, ya never know, we might get lucky (it IS Vegas after all!!)

You pretty much know your Q is good if everyone who eats it raves about it. Doesn't matter if they "know" good Q or not. I love it that much more when someone who wouldn't know the first thing about grilling, let alone Q'ing, pulls me aside to tell me how good the (fill in name of meat being served here) is and how they can make it.

I think a good backyard cook can outdo 98% of restaurant Q. It's much easier to excel when you don't have to worry about overhead. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

My 50? for today.

Rich

Mike, you know you've got 'em hooked when someone takes a bite of your brisket/pork/ribs/cheesecake/whatever and his eyes glaze over, his head turns a bit to one side, and you hear him murmur "ooooh daaaaaammnnnnnn..."

That one reaction to my barbecue has been my favorite one to date. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri,

Out here is California, it isn't too hard to the "ohh damn, this is great".

Because it is usually followed with "this is pork?" and then "it was in there for how many hours!?!?"

People out here don't know BBQ worth a damn...

Seriously, Applebee's or Tony Roma's is 'as good as it gets BBQ' for 99.999999% of the people out here.

Even in the few good BBQ joints in California (A couple in Oakland and 1 down in LA), all you really can get is links, chicken, brisket or spares.

You start doing pork butts and you gotta teach em how to make a sammich.

Seriously, yall don't know how deprived these folks are out here...

When I put out a spread (fried chicken, catfish, cornbread, biscuits, greens, mac & cheese, slaw & etc), I end up spending an hour or so the next week e-mailing people with the recipes.

Mind you, I am not a great cook... I just like to cook... Heck, I am just a greek boy that grew up of the left coast that likes cooking down home southern food.

Go figure?

Spyro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back