Do I really need a WSM?

Hey Timothy! Get hold of Jim Lampe, he's a member of the TVWBB, posts quite often, he's mentioned that he'd sell his 18"WSM..lookin to get a 22"...don't know about the $$$, but it's worth a shot!
icon_cool.gif
Jim's one of your fellow "Wisconsinites"
icon_wink.gif

No you don't need one. I used to fight with a ECB. Then I finally got the WSM, it was the best investment I made.

Need. That all depends on what you mean by need.

I sure don't regret getting my WSM that's for sure.

Tim,

I see your post as a cry for help. I'm here for you brother. Tell your wife we said you need a WSM. Let me know if you need a note...
icon_smile.gif

Absolutely you need a WSM. I'm sitting outside with mine as I type. These days its the only thing that doesn't argue with me when I get home.
icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone still in doubt, you do need one! I decided to do a 5lb pork leg to make pulled pork and 2 racks of ribs, and since it was only that I thought I would use the kettle instead. I have only used the WSM for months now.

What a waste of time. The ribs were fine and the leg is still on there, but every 30 minutes I have to be checking it, I keep adjusting the water pan in there as a heat absorber, I have to add more coals every hour, I have to play with the vents, I have to open it to check the temperature.

The WSM really is set and forget for 8 hours. I will never doubt why I bought a WSM again, ever!

Dude.....I hate to say this about your Smokenator cause I have one...butt>>>>using that is like driving a go-kart in a NASCAR race. Just tell her your feelings are crushed cuz your buddies are telling you that you are hosting "amateur hour" when you cook. Stirring coals with a metal rod each hour can disrupt my beer drinking schedule. Then....think about all the sleep you can get with a WSM when you do a 14 hours lo slo cook with that bad WSM filled with gorgeous boston butts. Go from amateur to hero/pro in a flash!!!! Buy it and love it!

Ok, I have been more or less lurking on this site for two years, Learned a lotta of good BBQ basics here from all the knowlagable contributors here. I have been using a Smokinator with good success (and a lota sleepless nights). But I finally have a little extra cash, and I just pulled the trigger on a 22 in WSM, goin pro !... now I cannot wait for my first all nighter, instead of dreading it !...
Did I need it? No, Did I have to Have it? Yes !!!
Both of my 22 in kettles will still get continued use, but when it is time for Butts, or Briskets, I can now have my Butts, and sleep on it too !.. And yes, I used the Amazon button, from this site !.

Way to go Corey! Join the ranks of the best BBQ cookers anywhere. Let me say that one of the top state champions in SC uses WSM's for all of his products. How can you go wrong for $387? Plus you supported this site by using Amazon!!!
Many teams drive up in $10K (and more) rigs and the little ole WSM cooker sends em home with the tail tucked low. Really...it is an amazing cooker for the $$$.
You will have lots of questions and lots to report back to the site as you learn about your machine. No question is too basic or too simple. If you like to tinker and modify.....this is the site. If you cook on it out of the box, your rewards will be just as sweet.
Keep that kettle grill ready to fire with some lump and get a searing hot fire for your good thick ribeye steak. However, when you taste your first brisket, butt or rib rack off your WSM....the love begins!
Congrats dude!

Thanks for the encouragement Morrey, I have known for a very long time, I was going to have to pull the trigger on a WSM someday, Last night, I just happened to be reading this thread, and the impulse struck me, that today was that Day!, and a bonus is Smoke Day VI is creeping up quickly. I also ordered a stainless door from the Cajun Bandit folks so I would not have to deal with the door fit issues that most 22's reportedly seem to have.
My first question is:
How important is "seasoning" the WSM prior to the first actual cook? is this really necessary, if so How do I properly season it?
My second question is regarding temp control:
I have read that new WSM's tend to run a little hot!.. should I try to counter this on early cooks by choking down the vents more than one would normally expect to? any advice from the experienced here would be appreciated !

Hey Corey,

I suppose you saw my other post to you regarding the 16" clay saucer. That size works well for my 22.5 WSM. It is a good system with the foiled saucer as a heat sink. I kinda liken it to a brick oven re-radiating heat. Its clean, simple and nearly maintenance free.
I went thru an 18" WSM before it finally went the way of the recycling center. I lived near the ocean and it took a toll on the metal. But the more I used it, the better it cooked.
Basically starting over with the 22.5 WSM, it does cook hotter than a seasoned smoker cooks. Yes, I suspect you will have the vents more towards closed than open right at first. This is with all factors being equal such as fuel choices, ambient temps and wind speed if you are out in an open area. As the cooker seasons in, you will be more stable but also more confident with your operating skills. Instead of making a small vent adjustment and hovering over the unit to see what happens, you will tweak a vent and go back to grass cutting.
I guess thats called confidence. I learn on each and every cook I do. I wouldn't throw a bag of K away just to season your unit.....I put chickens on mine the first cook. BTW>>>>they were delicious!

Back