Do I dare a brisket

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
I've never cooked a brisket! looks good. I notice quite a few "misses' on this one.
Maybe some BRITU?
I love baby backs. Which one is more forgiving on the wsm?
maybe i"ll go get another butt.On sale through tomorrow for $1.19 pound.
Jerry

You gotta try the brisket sometime. Everybody doesn't get it right the first time or every time, but I haven't had one yet that has not been eatable and better than most BBQ joints..

Give it a try, you'll be glad you did!

"Which one is more forgiving on the wsm?" The ribs, definitely. But like Mike said, you gotta try a brisket sooner or later.

I think I cooked 6 or 7 briskets before I got it right. I'm still improving but I suspect I'll never get it "perfect".

Give it a try. Try starting with a 4 to 6 pound flat and not a packer. If you can get two polder type thermometers. Insert them in the brisket in 2 different places. Keep track of the temps (maybe every 20 minutes) in both places. I know this may sound crazy but try to understand, thru the temp fluctuations, of whats happening inside your brisket. Insert the the thermometers thru the side and not the top.

I think it was my third brisket that I found the right combo. The last two I did were for some people in the neighborhood. They got rave reviews and several "Wow, I'm impressed" comments. Not bad considering I'm a stinkin' Yankee.
icon_smile.gif

I use a mustard slather and rub. I cook it at 230-250 for 12+ hours. I start fat side up and flip it at 6 hours, then again at 10 hours.

I cooked my first brisket this weekend, a little over 9 lbs, Started at 930pm and took it off at 1130 am mustard slather and rub. I thought it was really good. Kept the temp around 225 never over 250 that was towards the end. I have done alot of bbq but am new to the bullet, cook it slow and don't overthink it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back