DIY OTS to OTG mod ideas needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wedge one of those cheap aluminum pans under the bottom vent. Simply empty the pan into the trash after cleaning.

Here is a picture of my One Touch Super Silver. Moved the regular ash pan to the bottom, and bought a 12" metal bucket from Lowes for like $10. My parents have a gold, and to be honest I like my setup better. Why? Because I can see how much ash is in the bucket, I can hold more ash in the bucket, and I can put burnt aluminum in the bucket to cool off until its save to dump. I have never had a coal, miss the bucket because of the gap, and unless there is a heavy breeze all the ash falls down into the bucket. If you have any questions let me know.

IMG_0035.jpg

JHunter - I love it!

I took the easy out and bought a OTG ash catcher ring and bowl for about $25 off of ebay and snapped the ring into the slots that are already cut into the leg sockets on the OTS, and had an instant OTG.

The bucket would have been cheaper.

A while back, I took the charcoal bowl from a ECB and put it on the ash bowl retainer clips for a OTS for an OTS with "extra" ash capacity. I didn't have to empty the ash catcher but once in every 4 or 5 cooks. Sorry, that was back before I started taking pictures of everything.

Pat

Thanks for the great ideas. I bought my brother who has never bbq'd a used OTS and added thermo to the lid. I wanted easy way for him to clean up the ashes so he wouldn't get discouraged (he's more of a microwaved hotpocket kind of guy). I think the metal bucket is a winner!

Going to use the same idea as JHunter. Except I have an 8" bucket and some clips that were used from another ash pan. Holds the bucket nicely.

Originally posted by Branon S.:
Nice mod. Where did you get the 8" bucket?

I picked it up here in Canada from a store called Canadian Tire for $5.99. You could probably find one in Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Those smaller buckets are definitely avalable at lowes. To be honest I thought of something similar, but didn't think the clips would hold the bucket. Now I am tempted to get this smaller (cuter) version.
icon_smile.gif

It holds the bucket fine once you get the clips near the top of the legs. I would guess it would hold ash from at least a couple of cooks before it would get too heavy for the clips. I usually dump out the bucket after each cook and it's held great.

Originally posted by JHunter:
Those smaller buckets are definitely avalable at lowes. To be honest I thought of something similar, but didn't think the clips would hold the bucket. Now I am tempted to get this smaller (cuter) version.
icon_smile.gif

I did a quick mod to the bucket. Bent up the edge of the bucket and now it holds perfect. I could fill it now and it won't budge.

I have seen where a guy had cut a hole in the OTS ash pan and inserted a galvanized pail. I'd post a pic, but I haven't followed the rules here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back