DIY Front Folding Shelf EX6

As you stated, you can plane it down to increase handle clearance OR you can dado in the bracket to increase the clearance. Others have gone the dado approach.

As you stated, you can plane it down to increase handle clearance OR you can dado in the bracket to increase the clearance. Others have gone the dado approach.
I was thinking about a dado to recess the bracket into the wood, also would sit flush with the front of the smoker when folded down. Thanks Lew.

Lew! Wow, I’ve somehow missed this post. Looks great, well done. I’ve been thinking about something similar as well as a side shelf

For a little extra handle clearance, flip it over so it angles more straight out instead of down. You will need to drill out the alignment hole slightly to accept the bolt diameter. You'll see what I mean when you take it off. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to complete the mod.

For a little extra handle clearance, flip it over so it angles more straight out instead of down. You will need to drill out the alignment hole slightly to accept the bolt diameter. You'll see what I mean when you take it off. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to complete the mod.
Holy $#!T it took me a few reads to figure out what you meant, you're talking about modding the lid handle to angle it up? Brilliant!

Here I was googling for other handle options, would LOVE to get my hands on a set of RecTec horn handles....

Last edited:
Yep. Just unbolt the handle, and rotate the bosses, they're not symmetrical. The boss has two offset holes, one for the alignment pin, if I recall it correctly, and one for the bolt. I used a uni-bit to slightly open up the smaller alignment hole and put the bolt in that one, and it angles the handle a little up instead of down. It's not a huge change, but it raises the handle slightly and gives a little more hand clearance. Hope that makes some sense, been a while since I did it, but it wasn't hard and should be self explanatory once you get them off.

Yep. Just unbolt the handle, and rotate the bosses, they're not symmetrical. The boss has two offset holes, one for the alignment pin, if I recall it correctly, and one for the bolt. I used a uni-bit to slightly open up the smaller alignment hole and put the bolt in that one, and it angles the handle a little up instead of down. It's not a huge change, but it raises the handle slightly and gives a little more hand clearance. Hope that makes some sense, been a while since I did it, but it wasn't hard and should be self explanatory once you get them off.
I'll try this out on my spare lid first, thanks for the great idea.

Looks great Jason, nice job on the shelf. (y)

I wondered why they put the handle so low, but on a Pitboss that I had I realized that the higher handle could cause you to burn your arm or wrist on the lid when all the way raised, especially if you're short.

Back