DIY Crossover tubes

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
Every Weber I fix up needs a new crossover tube. Sometimes I have to buy the whole tube set, sometimes I have to wait 2 weeks just for tubes. I decided to try to make my own. I bought 8' for SS 3/8" tubing from Amazon, cut 15 1/4" tube and used a Dremel tool with cut off wheel to make slots. See picture. It does the job but not perfect. Works best when hood is closed. I think more smaller slots would be better. I tried drilling and gave up after 1 broken and 1 bent cobalt drill bit. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Anyone else try this? This is on the Spirit 310 I am working on.

Attachments

• xover (Large).jpg
    xover (Large).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 34
Yah, that is a great try. A drill press with a good bit might work better. But, IMO, you are better off to just buy a new set of tubes.

With the coupon, you can get a set of Silver B/C and Spirit E310 burners with a crossover tube for under $10. Lots better than trying to clean up the old ones. And if it really matters, just use the cross over tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RLXLWYR/?tag=tvwb-20

I admire the effort, but I am with Bruce. It seems that there is some real thaw in the prices of some grill parts. There are/were several products including the one Bruce linked that were being sold off at amazing discounts.

Unfortunately the link is for the side controls. For front controls they are $20. I just hate throwing out good burners, or adding them to my ever growing collection. I also like immediate gratification;-)

Nice job Joe! I'm all for saving money. I think the Cobalt bit would work, it'll just be a slow process drilling that many holes.

Search around Amazon for the right burner set that fits your grill, tons of good sales right now.

Back