Direct Heat Ribs on the WSM

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I decide to try making direct heat ribs this past weekend.
I fired up the wsm with some old unlit charcoal in the bottom and a fresh chimney of lump charcoal over that. I took out the water pan and cooked on the bottom grate.
OkPMpbA.jpg

WSM fired up.
T2L9GhQ.jpg

Made up a mop sauce based on Tootsie's recipe.
TBFqQIh.jpg

Ribs cooking on the wsm. I used the trimming to make some snacks for the dogs. After cooking the ribs face up for about an hour I flipped them over and mopped every 15 to 20 minutes. After another hour face down I put them back face up for about 30 more minutes an continued mopping.
1mJJaZs.jpg

Finished ribs.
BoyyeKX.jpg

Sliced
KI7eY7M.jpg

Another sliced shot
adiP7lh.jpg

Plated with some coleslaw.

These ribs turned out amazing. I love that direct heat flavor that's unlike anything else. Thanks for looking!

I decide to try making direct heat ribs this past weekend.
I fired up the wsm with some old unlit charcoal in the bottom and a fresh chimney of lump charcoal over that. I took out the water pan and cooked on the bottom grate.
OkPMpbA.jpg

WSM fired up.
T2L9GhQ.jpg

Made up a mop sauce based on Tootsie's recipe.
TBFqQIh.jpg

Ribs cooking on the wsm. I used the trimming to make some snacks for the dogs. After cooking the ribs face up for about an hour I flipped them over and mopped every 15 to 20 minutes. After another hour face down I put them back face up for about 30 more minutes an continued mopping.
1mJJaZs.jpg

Finished ribs.
BoyyeKX.jpg

Sliced
KI7eY7M.jpg

Another sliced shot
adiP7lh.jpg

Plated with some coleslaw.

These ribs turned out amazing. I love that direct heat flavor that's unlike anything else. Thanks for looking!
They look outstanding!

They look great! It's been a long time since I used my Pit Barrel Cooker but I wonder if you somewhat experienced the flavor that I remember from that drum cooker. It changes the profile with the drippings landing on the lit coals.

Back