Dinosaur Ribs .. time temps?

Frank C

TVWBB Fan
I just put on some (large beef ribs) and was wondering if any of you do these often? This is my first attempt. I am following Raichlen's recipe with the 5 spice powder in the rub and the hoisin sauce in the mop.

I started them with 5 chunks of mesquite and the guru set at 235 degrees. Should I increase the temp.

Also, I plan not to foil.... what do ya think?

How long would you take them? I know it is all feel.. but approx time... I assume much shorter than pork ribs...

Thanks, Frank

I have done these often, as my Mother prefers them to pork ribs. I cook them like my pork ribs, about 6 hours and then a two hour foil. I follow it up with a quick glaze and sear on the gasser and follow that up with some beer!

Thanks to both of you... Paul how in the world did I miss that one? I'll go 5-6 hours wrap them, let them let cool and put them in the fridge. Take them to the tailgate... warm them in foil, baste them and then sear on the gasser.

I did mess up on the membrane... just totally forgot... oh well I'm sure they still will turn out fine...

I've also done beef ribs a few times and find they can be very rich(real fatty), I cook them very similar to pork ribs time wise, but if anything I have found they can take a couple extra hours, without "drying out" too much.

Hi Frank,

I just did some of these a couple of days ago. I followed Chris' recipe, and looked at the recipe on the The Smoke Ring's homepage. I cooked mine at 230-240 for six hours, with hickory wood. I sauced mine for the last hour, and they were incredible. I almost want to say that I prefer them to pork ribs! Hope this helps.

Back