Digital thermometer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Studley

On the WSM where should I run the wire for the digital thermometer?
It seems like under the hood or the door would cause leakage.

Thanks
Steve S

I removed one of the top bolts from the arm that supports the top grill and pass the probes through the hole, works great. I came across that idea in this forum some where. If you go to the Tips and Mods part of the forum, you will find other great ideas.

I mounted my smoker temp thermometer thru the bolt hole as mentioned above, but I pass my meat probes under the lid and thru the door-- the leakage is negligible. The cables will not be damaged if you exercise reasonable care, and don't kink them.

I've been running both wires out of the top corner of the access door. Suprisingly there is little or no leakage at all. I then hang the Maverick transmitter on the lip of the center section where the top of the WSM sits. When I need to take the lid off I move the transmitter and hang it on the access door knob.

Steve....

I have been running the wires under the lid for over 6 years now. No leakage and no damage to the wires. Have only lost 1 Polder clone...that was to a snow storm.

OR.....

Simply take the temp from the lid vent realizing the reading will most likely be a little higher than the grate.

Even though I can be quite anal about temps...it is more when competing or catering....it ain't an exact science and you don't need precise accuracy. All 5 of my thermo's are off by 1-5?..no big deal.

Thank you for your replys,

I should of been more specific and let you knowe it was for the meat probe. You answered my question "through the door or lid". I would of exspected that there would be to much leakage but I am glad to here that it is negligable.

Steve S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back