Digital Probe Damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Jocsak

TVWBB Member
I searched but could not find much info on the best way to route the wire of a digital therm into the WSM for monitoring meat temps. My thought is if it goes under the lid it will kink it and ruin the probe. What is the best way to route the wire?

BTW are these probes fluid filled (Polder ex.)or is there an actual wire running through the SS sheath?

I've been running mine under the lid since Oct 03 when I bought them. I haven't had one fail me yet.

Some folks run them in around the front access door. I suppose that works OK to.

Jim

I run mine under the lid, just as I did with the same thermometer for several years on an ECB. There's enough play in the fit of the lid that it doesn't crush the cable. Just don't run the cable at a 90 degree angle to the edge of the lid. And yes, there are wires within the metal sheath.

Jeff,

Been running my Taylor therm wires under the lid for almost two years now and they still work great. Just place the lid on gently, don't slam it down on the wire and you'll be fine.

Same here, run under lid with no problems. However I use a wireless Maverick but the probe is designed the same as the Taylor from what I can see.

I had been running my ET-73 wires "under the lid" as well with no problems for almost a year so far, but I just got my "eyelets" from The BBQ Guru and I like those even better (I just used one, sold the other to a friend...comes in a 2-pack for $8).

Since the BBQ Guru (actually the E-Temp) wires are a little more wimpy than my Maverick wires, I thought it might be a good thing. I can fit both ET-73 wires (I use 2 food probes) as well as the Guru wire in the eyelet hole, no problem. Makes taking the lid on/off less complicated during the smoke, I do know that.

There are several related threads to this topic in the "mods" forum.

I took one of the upper bolts out that hold the brackets for the grids, and just run my probes in that way.
I tried under the lid at first, but it seemed like I was loosing alot of smoke, and I wasnt sure if that was good, so I thought I should try something else.

I've been running the probe wires through the top corner of the access door with great success. Leakage is minimal and there is no strain or compression on the wires at all.

I usually run my ET-73 wires w/ the meat probe under the lid and the smoker probe through the front access door corner like Russ because the smoker probe wire is shorter. I like the idea of drilling a hole in the access door and mounting a thermometer. It just might have to be my next mod!

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and bought the Taylor 1470 and it works great. It's through the lid for now but I'm planning on trying the other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back