DigiQ DX2 and Rain

Brian M.

TVWBB Fan
I'm considering the purchase of a DigiQ DX2 and read that you should not let it get wet.

Do you folks have any suggestions on how you handle this if your all night cook gets a surprise rain storm?

Thanks for the help

I have the Stoker, but I have the same challenge with rain. I bought a medium-sized plastic storage box...shallow, usually for storing clothes. It has a tight-fitting lid. I cut a couple of slits on the side for my probes, and on the other side for the power cord. With the lid on the box, this thing is essentially water proof. I usually throw the cover for the WSM over the top of the whole thing and weight it down (in case of high winds) and it is good to go for protecting the controller.

The fan is another story. I usually take a sheet of aluminum foil and attach it where the fan goes in to the WSM, and drape the foil over the fan, making sure the foil doesn't impede airflow.

I always protect my Stoker, even if no rain is predicted.

I don't like to do it but I move my WSM into my screen-in porch if it looks like rain. Otherwise, I put my digi on its stand on an outdoor table and place a plastic food bag over it and zip it up as much as possible. I do that at night to keep dew off (overnight cooks) and it would provide some rain protection if it came unexpectedly.

I've seen a rather sophisticated plastic box mod that some guy build for an ique but it would work for a digi. Sounds like something similar to what James uses.

I found the link on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS5L7l9VZLU

I thank you for your help. In the meantime I wrote to the BBQ Guru and asked about the unit and the fan. The reply below from Lisa seems to sum it up.

"Brian—With most of our controls, the most important thing to do is have it upright in its stand (which is included). From there, you can cover it with a Ziplock bag so you can still see and operate it, but it will be protected from getting water in the jacks.

The fan will be okay as long as you have it inserted so it lays parallel to the ground (our logo is up facing towards the sky). Please let me know what other questions you have or if I can offer any other advice to help you choose a control. "

if you have a separate charcoal grill you can put it near the Smoker and put the stoker on the grate of the unlit charcoal grill. I do that with my Maverick now. Might lose some distance on the wireless but at least it is dry.

I have a iQ110 and I cut the bottom out of a juice jug and poked a very small hole in the lid for the lanyard.

IMG_0473.jpg

Back