different size butts same time party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Squires

TVWBB Member
Hi all,
I have a party this sat. and am doing pulled pork. I have three of them I am going to use but one is an 8.5lbs. and the other two are like 4.5 - 5lbs. I am really lost for how to set this cook up. Do I put all three of them on at the same time, or do I stagger the start times? I use sand in the water pan so I was thinking of putting the big one on the bottom and the two smaller ones up top.
Thanx for the help

Arthur

icon_rolleyes.gif
Why not cut the 8.5 into 2 4.25 lb roast, then they will all take around the same time? No juggling.

Arthur

The problem with staggering the starting times is that you would be introducing a pretty large, total 9 lb, cold heat sink and this will affect the stability of your cook. If you waited, say 3 hrs, to do it, you might have to stay up another 2 or 3 to get it stable and fiddle with the vents. Could make an overnighter an "all nighter".
icon_smile.gif

With a 4 + hour hold time at the end, I think I would start them at the same time, pull the small ones off first if they hit 195, foil and keep them in a cooler. The big one will probably finish within 4 hrs. You could go ahead and actually pull the small ones, put in a zip-lock and refrigerate. Then let the big one finish and hold it till before you want to eat and pull it ?

Just some thoughts.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back