Different rubs and tastes

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
To find out which rubs you will like starting out would you say cut 2 slabs of ribs in half and put a different rub on each half smoke them all and do a taste test? Or how would you experiment to find out which rubs you like.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven Simpkins:
To find out which rubs you will like starting out would you say cut 2 slabs of ribs in half and put a different rub on each half smoke them all and do a taste test? Or how would you experiment to find out which rubs you like.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would try different rubs during different cooks, versus trying 3-4 different rubs during one cook. You're going to confuse your taste buds!
icon_eek.gif
And if you do it during separate cooks, you can make more BBQ!!!

Steve, as a bbq judge I get to taste lots of different rubs. To qualify that statement, you need to cleanse your palate before you taste the next sample. It's not fool proof but should give you some idea. Also, don't use real extreme ingredients that add a lot of heat or bitterness. If you do it will make it harder to clear your mouth of the aftertaste

Steve,

I've done this several times. I buy the three-packs of ribs at Sam's club and put a different rub on each. I take three wooden skewers and notch the ends with a knife, one doesn't get notched, one gets one notch, the last 2 notches. Make sure you spread the notches a bit, as they tend to get crap all over them, making it hard to determine which one is which. Roll up the racks and stick whichever skewer you want through them, taking a moment to write down which notch number corresponds with which rub. The skewers make it easy to tell what you're tasting later and you don't have to keep track of them on the grate.

Country style "ribs" (usually sliced pork shoulder down here) are a lot cheaper for experiments than back or spare ribs, and you can try lots of different flavors on one cook...

Back