Different HeaterMeter hardware ideas

No, a RasPi doesn't cost much. It's the same price as a bag of charcoal, only you don't burn it!

When compared in percentage to the price of the NodeMCU, yes, it's more expensive, but we're talking a delta of about $15 to $20 here.

I'm all for what David is doing and even plan to get it up and running for myself. I'm just saying that this isn't a project for 3rd world nations where every dollar saved is a major win.

True. Understood. I guess I got caught up on the smallness.

True, it isn't only about the cost. I got my last NodeMCU's for under $5 USD shipped (to toronto). But RasPi are not the same as a device like esp8266.....they both have their pros & cons....

esp8266 are very user friendly to configure/setup/maintain.....they start up and connect to wifi within 5 seconds.....power consumption is very low (battery use possible).....size is great....

RP/openwrt is certainly more feature rich....Espress is on v0.01 ;) But i'm focusing on keeping it cloud-based......with some offline abilities.

Either way options are always good....I like 'playing' with different ideas....

oh, and I did try the 3d printer Ramps board this week on the MEGA clone like the first post on this thread........ran HM on it and with a few software changes...it ran (got temps)! If size/looks isn't a option I think it would be the easiest HM to build (nearly no soldering)....

Back