difference in time to cook performer vs. silver/gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Dewey

what is the time delta between the gas assist on the performer and a chimney starter?

Looking to fill the gap between the smoker and my Genesis gasser. Hoping to use it weeknights - not alot of time between getting home from work and getting dinner on the table for the family (kids are young, 7:30 bedtime).

The gasser is ready to grill in 10 minutes (a little longer in the winter)

If you want fast get a weed burner to start your coals, its by far the fastest way I have lit charcoal

weber chimney starter takes about 20 min for almost the full load to light. i never wait for the top to get lit. go from there.

I hit the gas below the coals on my performer with the gas assist, and then hit the top of the coals with my weed burner at the same time. I dont like to wait. Close the lid after 90 seconds or so and watch the needle fly past 600. Time for steaks.

The weedburner sounds like fun, but I was thinking I'd put this grill on my brand new wooden deck vs. patio. I gave my doghouse away a couple years ago - were I to burn down the deck/house, I'd be sleeping under the stars winter is coming.

In all seriousness, what is "stock" performer light it to cooking time?

Same as a chimney. A chimney might be faster because of the "chimney" effect. Your looking at 20-30 mins.

I only go wide open throttle on the weed burner with kingsford. I doesn't spark. I don't do that with lump. I still use the weed burner, I just keep the flame down.

I light the chimney with the gas assist...It usually takes around 5 minutes for the chimney to get going (turn off gas assist) and them 10-15 more for the chimney to be ready to pour...15-20 total.

We've got a 4 year old and always have dinner on the table by 6:30.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I light the chimney with the gas assist...It usually takes around 5 minutes for the chimney to get going (turn off gas assist) and them 10-15 more for the chimney to be ready to pour...15-20 total.

We've got a 4 year old and always have dinner on the table by 6:30. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the same, Chimney on top of the gas assist. If I am in a hurry, I leave my gas on, it's ready in 10 minutes total.

A single (full size) paper towel with a douse of oil on it, slightly folded/crumpled under the chimney will get a full load of lump or Kingsford glowing red-hot in about 8-10 minutes. I don't think much time is cut from that using a combo of the paper towel and the gas burner on the Performer (yes, I've done both, combination of all and just the paper towel.)

It takes a full 12-15 minutes for me to get a full Weber chimney of lump ready with 3 sheets of newspaper via the Gary Wiloitte (Low and Slow) method.

I start my coals in a chimney on the side burner of my gasser. Usually 2 minutes on the gas and then 5-10 minutes in the kettle. I use mostly lump so they start up real quick.

Using lump charcoal and chimney starter is the key to speed.

1. Chimney of lump, started with two paper towels doused in oil/sprayed in pam. 10 minutes for a full chimney.

2. Chimney of briquettes, started with 2 sheets of newspaper about 20 minutes to get going.

Hope this helps...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back